• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Hazard Flashers?

Putting on your hazards on an Autobahn signals the drivers behind you that a Stau (traffic jam) is ahead. I don't think it's a law, just common courtesy.
Truckers do that all the time around here, and I've seen cars do it too. I actually asked PackRat what it meant, back in the day.

Some people do it when they are merging onto the freeway for some reason like it makes them easier to spot or something. It usually gets a :rolleyes: from me. I always figure if you've got an emergency, get it off the freeway. As far as ricers doing it, I've never seen that. They keep well away from me. :laugh:
Karl

I had a G35 do that to me after we got done messing around on the freeway :shrug:

Alright.. that's where this thread ends... at least on that topic.

Any further talk about racing, on the freeway, the street, a "backroad", or ANYTHING other than a track, and there will be penalties.
And for anyone that was going to use the "on the track" excuse... people on the track don't flash their hazards... So..

Some people do it when they are merging onto the freeway for some reason like it makes them easier to spot or something. It usually gets a :rolleyes: from me. I always figure if you've got an emergency, get it off the freeway. As far as ricers doing it, I've never seen that. They keep well away from me. :laugh:
Karl
I always signal when merging (not hazards). It's because a lot of the onramps around here become their own lane on the highway, and other onramps merge into the existing rightmost/leftmost lane.

ive seen people use their hazards when im scapping the bugs off my front bumper on thiers jk usually get it from people in minivans who pull out in front of me and do 10 under the speed limit and i come up close.

Way back when I started driving, we used reverse lights to signify we wanted to race. (Yes, we re-wired them, we didn't throw it into reverse :laugh: )
Wonder what the car behind me would do if I did that on the expressway :laugh:

I turn on my hazards to warn the car behind me when they get too close. Then if they ignore it, I turn on my windshield washers. That wakes them up right away. :laugh:

And yes, hazards on when I drive into a burst of pouring rain and can't see anything in front (hence, a slow down on the highway) and when there is a major unexpected jam on the highway. But I turn it off as soon as there is a car behind me to take the "rear ender". :laugh:

On our trek back home from SZ, one thing that impressed NECEG was the fact that Michigan drivers actually MOVE to the left/right at the first sign that their lane is going to be closed 1 mile ahead. Massachusetts drivers drive all the way up until you hit the cones, then force their way into the other lane. Lots of accidents, honking, road rage and backups ensue.

So you guys do one thing right at least...

The thing about hazards is people seem to be making up their own rule as the their uses. They are supposed to be used at the side of the road so that people can see you in the dark. That's it. No merging, use your signal lights. No driving 40 mph under the speed limit on the freeway trying to nurse the car home, get off and call AAA. When people start making up their own rules, it's confusing to everybody else.
Karl

The thing about hazards is people seem to be making up their own rule as the their uses. They are supposed to be used at the side of the road so that people can see you in the dark. That's it. No merging, use your signal lights. No driving 40 mph under the speed limit on the freeway trying to nurse the car home, get off and call AAA. When people start making up their own rules, it's confusing to everybody else.
Karl
Hmmm..... I also use them when I am waiting for someone to drive out of a parking spot so that I can get into that spot. Beats making those behind me trying to figure out what I am doing.

Back