• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Help -- Good mechanic in DC area?

Farmer Stan

New CEG'er
Hi --

So I'm new -- to the forum, to owning a Contour (sweet green 99 SVT bought in Dec), and to dealing with car issues. Dad wasn't mechanically inclined, etc...

I live in Arlington, VA and am looking for a good mechanic. Any recommendations?

Also, unfortunately it looks like I'm going to need to get the lower control arms replaced on both sides. I went to a mechanic a friend recommended to me who quoted me $1000 (~$460 in parts, $540 in labor). I hear that's too high. Any thoughts on who else I can get to do this in the area?

Thanks,
Ray

Dan does good work at a good price. :)

If Gainesville, VA proves to be too far for you, or you need the job done on short notice, check out Merv's in Springfield, VA.

my car has the nastiest knock ive ever heard. it wont MOVE. hence my question.....

...how many 30 pack does it take?:laugh:

No 30-packs, sorry- Now, a box of Fuente Fuente Opus Xs or Padron '26 80th Anniversaries? THEN we'd be talking!

Do you have access to a pickup truck with a tow hitch? If so, how about a tow dolly? If not, rent a truck for a day, winch that sucker on there and bring it down to me! My garage has everything we'd need to do anything from replace 2.5L for another 2.5L, all the way to 3L turbo and 3L superchargers. My work is shown in several threads on both the NECO and CEG 3L sections. As the old saying goes- Speed costs money- How fast you wanna go???

PM me if you're interested. Spring's coming, and I need to get back out into the garage to lose some of this winter weight!

No 30-packs, sorry- Now, a box of Fuente Fuente Opus Xs or Padron '26 80th Anniversaries? THEN we'd be talking!

Lol i had to do a google search to see what the heck those were for next time I need some work done. :laugh:

BTW I don't think my car would make it up there to do my suspension work. My rear struts bottomed out and it sounds like someone is slamming my trunk everytime I go over the small bump.....Damn fat girl in the back seat:nonono:

I've never seen springs collapse like that- Unless the struts are so badly shot that the springs are just freely bouncing.

Not sure I want a pic of the girl?

Ahhh, nice. I'm over in Fairfax with a 95 Contour SE...as the sig says. I have quite a problematic car...and it's good to see somebody nearby with some experience.

DanG: do you have your own shop, or are you working in the garage in your free time?

Ahhh, nice. I'm over in Fairfax with a 95 Contour SE...as the sig says. I have quite a problematic car...and it's good to see somebody nearby with some experience.

DanG: do you have your own shop, or are you working in the garage in your free time?

Dan works out of his garage.

Like Javon said- I have a two car detached garage with air tools, two welders, engine hoists, stands, full compliment of tools... It's a hobby, after all... I think.

Dan, did you know Dwight Brimhall from Veridian/GD? He needs to replace the oil pickup on his 67 Chevelle, which was cracked by the shop he paid to replace the oil pan. He's thinking of doing the work himself, but he has lamented that he doesn't have the tools or the time to pull the engine. I mentioned that you are meticulous in your work and your rate is quite reasonable. Is that something you would be willing to do over a weekend?

Back