• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Help!

95_Mystique

Hard-core CEG'er
I want to get a tune for my car and change or remove the rev limiter. My brother and i are having a little Zetec shoot out between the 2 of us at the drag strip this year, and he has ALWAYS had a faster car than me, so now i want to show him up. My rev limiter kicks in at 5900rpm (WAY too soon) and his car will crank up to 7K without flinching. I'm thinking with a good tune and higher RPM's, I stand a good chance of beating him.

Now, the problem, where they heck can i get a tune for a 95 Mystique!?!?!?! I called a place today, and they said they couldnt do it, and they specialize in Fords and have tuned plenty of ZX2's and Zetec Focus's. Any help would be AWESOME!

Thanks,
Mark

if the rev limiter is kicking in at 5900 then there is a problem as its not supposed to kick in until ~6700 on the stock Zetec.

what are you current mods and what does he have that you are trying to beat?

Computer problem? Its been like this since i got the car.

I have a header, intake, no cat or resonator, thinking of taking the muffler back off for the drags, UDP, and weight reduction. Also getting ready to take out all the A/C parts cuz that took a crap and dont feel like fixing it.

His car is a 2002 Focus ZX5 with a Zetec and MTX-75 trans and some weight reduction. He might be choping up the exhaust soon too, but i'm not sure.

im assuming since its a mystique it came with a tach? if so they are generally a little slow to respond. does it have the same problem in say 3rd where the acceleration and RPM change is slower?

I would add the adjustable FPR that ButtonPuncher posted about. then check with SCT about what they have for tuning an OBD1 car.

Yes, it does it in 3rd as well. I know about the adjustible FPR as well, and im planning on it.

The company/shop i contacted said that SCT didnt offer anything for the car, but Joe found a chip for me that works on 95's. They run between 270 and 400 bucks.

Try changing your crank and cam position sensors. I have seen rev limit problems caused by poor cam/crank position sensors losing signal and the pcm doesn't know whats going on (cannot calculate spark timing: missing values) and where the miss begins it acts essntially as a rev limiter because the spark cannot be computed: rpms drops it pickups and computes, then misses again when rpms raise and drops out....produces same output from pcm as a spark cut revlimiter. Just a thought.

And get a Powder UDP if you can, really opens up then engine with a header. Great mod.

Thanks for the tip, i may have to try that out. Also, i already have a UDP on the car. Just by adding the UDP and header, i've noticed a great gain. I cant wait to see what it runs this year at the drag strip. I'm hoping for faster than 16.5's though.

Look into seeing if you can swap your cams for zx2 intake cam's. IIRC theres something different about the 95 zetec timing components but you would know better than I.

stock zx2 intake cam
.367" lift and 214 deg duration @ .050"

FR STG1 intake cam
.374" lift and 210 @ .050"

Back