• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Indepth How-To on Headlight Baking, improved Hightower mod

This really isn't the hightower mod so to speak as you are not cutting the lights apart. Did you follow the procedure step by step?

You may have to put them in the oven several times. Also did you preheat the oven?

This is exactly the hightower mod. Seeing as how the process of opening a headlight is not the mod, but the end result is....

I followed this how to step by step and my headlights came out awesome. It was raining today and there is no signs of leaking or condensation.

THANK YOU MIKE!

Try wetsanding the lenses. I used 1000 grit, then moved to 2000 grit to finish them off. They still need to be polished though, so im going to try some rubbing compound and/or plastx

Awesome work. I was thinking about replacing my leaky headlights, but I'd rather sand, polish, and reseal them and save a couple hundred dollars.

yea you should have seen my headlights before I started. I had to start out with 150 grit. It was bad. However I worked my way up to 2000 grit and used 3M rubbing compound followed by polish and they look gorgeous.

shot4nh5.jpg

DSC01858.jpg

I started at 400 wet.. and worked my way up to 800 wet and clearcoated mine.. It worked like a charm

How come I've never seen your car?? :confused:

I need to set up another Minnesota meet sometime here now that its nice out.

im working on this right now. well im taking them apart. what am i supose to to do with the yellow reflector on the side? take it off, paint over it, or take it off do the painting then put it back on??? im at a loss

added:
the center "bubble" as im going to call it, that is on the low beam head light.
P7260002.jpg

P7260003.jpg

im curious to why the inside, where the bulbe would be located is not reflective?
P7260004.jpg

Last edited:
Perfect timing! I was just wondering about how to do this... and my prayers were answered! I'll post pics when the test is complete... any other smart Words of advice b4 i go carzy!?!? THANKS

im curious to why the inside, where the bulbe would be located is not reflective?

maybe because the end of the bulb does not illuminate, it's covered, typically with some grey material. not sure though.

btw, will this work on pre-98's? just if anyone knows off the tops of their heads.

maybe because the end of the bulb does not illuminate, it's covered, typically with some grey material. not sure though.

btw, will this work on pre-98's? just if anyone knows off the tops of their heads.

I'm pretty sure the baking process is the same. I just haven't seen anyone hightower a pre98

you cant hightower a pre98 headlamp because there are only 2 parts to it. the lens and the housing. there is very little extra chrome that can be removed. at one point i opened up my headlamps and painted the extra chrome to match the car. ill see if i cant find the pics and post them later.

you cant hightower a pre98 headlamp because there are only 2 parts to it. the lens and the housing. there is very little extra chrome that can be removed. at one point i opened up my headlamps and painted the extra chrome to match the car. ill see if i cant find the pics and post them later.

projectors with new corvette style headlights to match the paint would be uber-badass!

except that the lens is not a clear lens its a fractal(?) style so you cant do projectors like the 98+ guys.

Back