• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Is 93 octane gone in MN!?

Mr_Buddha

CEG'er
I live south of the cities, near Owatonna. I noticed since last week, every station I used to fill up with 93 octane at is now that crap 92(91 octane with extra cleaners to boost octane).

Holiday stations no longer carry 93 from what I can tell.

I drove through Iowa last week and even Love's truck stops(my guaranteed place for 93 on the road) there have dropped 93.

I am starting to think that Koch refinery is no longer making it.

This could seriously alter my engine plans, so i need to figure this out soon. Any help appreciated.

Do any of you still see 93 or higher near you? if so, where?

It's all 92 or 91. Some idiot must have thought that was a good idea. I think it's BS too. I avoid Holiday gas as I consistently get lower mileage when I run it. I'm not sure why but in my experience its always 1-3 mpg lower.

Chris

Damm, and here I was planning a 11.5/1 compression motor. I don't feel like playing with E85, as I work in the industry that makes it, trust me, it's not going to last.

Well back to the drawing board I guess. This is going to effect a lot of people with FI I would think.

i only fill up on holiday 91. i get 26-28mpg's all day long. when ever i use anything else the car eats it up fast.

I can run on Holiday gas, but I can feel a power drop compared to running 93. I prefer 93 with no Ethanol, but I could only get that in certain parts of WI. I wonder what all the FI guys are going to do. Don't you pretty much NEED a higher octance on FI to prevent detonation?

Yeah, 91 will be fine you will just be down on power slightly because you'd have to run a bit richer to prevent detonation. All in the tune.

Or get race gas or E85 if you need higher octane. Not that big of problem IMO.

I get the 91 Octane Non Oxygenated (No Ethanol) at the Sinclair by my house.

I was kind of surprised when I was in the cities this past weekend that the station I normally stop at didn't have the 93. Considering that was the closest place that know of that had 93, I am not too worried about it. :)

Or get race gas or E85 if you need higher octane. Not that big of problem IMO.

Considering the closest place I can get race gas is 40 miles from me, it is a problem. I work in the ethanol industry, trust me E85 will be gone before you know it, the entire industry is getting ready for it.

Considering the closest place I can get race gas is 40 miles from me, it is a problem. I work in the ethanol industry, trust me E85 will be gone before you know it, the entire industry is getting ready for it.
Even still, what are you going to gain by tuning for 93 vs 91-92? 5whp MAYBE? I just don't think it's worth worrying about. If you're going to try getting every last possible hp you will want race gas or some other high octane fuel anyways.

Back