• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mondeo Should be in the states by '09

The question is, will they bring the ST220 version over here- or will they effectively neuter it, like BMW used to do with their M cars?

Are the latest Mondy's assembled in Mexico? I wonder if that's convenient enough for Ford to start sending them north of the border? I mean, how is it fair that Mexico gets the ST220 & we get nothing?

I'd say they'll keep it the same... too costly to engineer different things for it... but who knows, emissions requirements might force them to detune it...

Also, Mexico has what, no safety/emissions laws? That's why the Mondeo is there... see how many changes had to be made to make the old Mondeos turn into Contours? I mean, even a Focus needed different things... Cougars seem identical, though...

I have mixed feelings about that. Ford has managed to screw up most everything they bring from europe and put a Mercury label on. The Capri, the Scorpio, and the XR4TI, come to mind. I would hate to see that with the Mondeo.

I have mixed feelings about that. Ford has managed to screw up most everything they bring from europe and put a Mercury label on. The Capri, the Scorpio, and the XR4TI, come to mind. I would hate to see that with the Mondeo.

Maybe we'll get lucky this time & Ford will get the brilliant idea of the Mercury Mondeo with AWD and a D35, or D35 T.

I agree Jim, but i wish Bill ford decided to get the mondeo here instead of spending millions building the 500. :blackeye:

Bold move for sure if you ask me.

And running! I suppose we'll have to see just how many people are willing to put their money where their mouth is, if the Mondeo does come to the States. All you hear around her is "I'd buy one if they brought it over here!" I'm guessing there might be a handful of people on here that actually do.....

Mark

Im going too. Period.

well, that is provided Ford doesnt change it around to be wicked ugly which is a heavy possibility.

Maybe we'll get lucky this time & Ford will get the brilliant idea of the Mercury Mondeo with AWD and a D35, or D35 T.

That would be the only way I would consider one...

If it even gets the Volvo 5 cylinder turbo, it's only going to have around 220hp, which is a bit behind the current power curve. The current UK lineup of the mk4 has the top engine as a 2.5L Duratec :blackeye:

Maybe they can put the MS6 drivetrain in there... it would put it on par with competitors.

Last edited:
That would be the only way I would consider one...

If it even gets the Volvo 5 cylinder turbo, it's only going to have around 220hp, which is a bit behind the current power curve. The current UK lineup of the mk4 has the top engine as a 2.5L Duratec :blackeye:

Maybe they can put the MS6 drivetrain in there... it would put it on par with competitors.

After seeing the press conference with Da Pres on the flexible fuel vehicles, I'm thinking the D35 may be a real possibility for much of the Ford linup. It is NZEF capable and E-85 compatible, I've read. Doesn't mean we HAVE to run E-85 in it, but we could. To my knowlege we don't have an E-85 compatible D25 or D30.

I wonder how E-85 affects turbo spool & tuning for FI.... :ponder:

What's Ford's rationale for offering these cool models in Europe but not in the US?

And running! I suppose we'll have to see just how many people are willing to put their money where their mouth is, if the Mondeo does come to the States. All you hear around her is "I'd buy one if they brought it over here!" I'm guessing there might be a handful of people on here that actually do.....

Mark
Hands up! :cool:

And this time I will already be signed up as a member of the enthusiast group (instead of finding out about them/it 8 years later). :laugh:

Back