• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MTX issues need advice.

Devilsword

New CEG'er
Few questions so let me get right too it.

I have a 2000 SVT. When i purchased the car the owner(trusted friend) recently had the clutch replaced before inspection. when driving it had made a noise from the left side of the car that at the time we believed to be an improperly installed throw out bearing. now that i have been driving the car i have realized the noise is only made with the clutch pedal full released and only gets louder when i am off the gas. This leads me to think its an input shaft bearing. First though i am going to do a fluid swap to see if that has any effect. the recommendations i read were below.
Ford Spec Fluid
Torco RTF (race spec GL5, all synthetic excellent shifting in cold weather or hot)
Torco MTF
Penzoil Synchromesh
Royal Purple Synchromax
Royal Purple Gearmax (race and HiPerf, Hi Temp apps.)

I am a big fan of the royal purple products and feel like its what has kept my race car from falling apart after many hard launches/ track days. Yet Sycrhromax is hard to find in my area where 75w90 and 75w140 are really common. are these good substitutes or should i chase down some Penziol?

Now here is the scary qeustion. if this doesn't fix the problem(which i am worried it wont) should i look to repair the existing transmission( new bearing possible a sleeve if mares) or replace the whole tranny. if i replace the tranny which ones are compatible and are there better choices? also why the shop in there is there anything i should replace prt mounts ect?

Thanks in advance for any help.

You do not want to use a gear oil. The recommended fluids are Ford, Sycromax and 10w-40 diesel oil, iirc.

Also, generally if there is a noise while the car is in neutral and the clutch is released its the TB. This also means that noise goes away when the clutch is pressed to the floor.

You do not want to use a gear oil. The recommended fluids are Ford, Sycromax and 10w-40 diesel oil, iirc.

This (but fully synthetic diesel oil). The reason you do not want gear oil is because it will swell up the internal parts of the transmission and degrade them much quicker.

I forget where there was a post I read from Terry Haines but he explained it all.

So bad news. Replaced the fluid with penzoil sycromax and still hear the noise. I wouldnt doubt the gasket on the throttle is bad i noticed it was a little worn when i took it off to clean it last week but already got a new one ftom rock auto. Its obvious now the bearing is going. So should i look for another trans or is it worth rebuilding?

Depends. Do you wanna take a chance at a junk yard trans or can you afford a decent rebuild and peace of mind to start fresh? I had a junk yard trans to replace mine that was going out. It lasted about a year and a half and about 30xxx miles or so until the diff exploded. The transmission had only 55000 miles when I first got it too

no i would rather rebuild it. and if i did get a junk yard trans it would go through the same inspection and possible rebuild before install. my hill climb special is taking up all my time so this one will be handled by a real shop. So i guess are these transmission so flawed that it would be best to replace it a rebuilt used one from something else? also is a difference between svt contour years if my current one is so gone i need to start with a better core.

Back