• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MTX Popped? Diff or Shift bolt?

Yep, that is what the ford CD included in its instructions. But I do have a replacement clip from the CV boot replacement that I didn't put on (stupidly)when I replaced taht CV boot this past Satuday.

todras... re-read his statement. He said he tossed the existing clip, and used a new c-clip, as per the instructions.

todras... re-read his statement. He said he tossed the existing clip, and used a new c-clip, as per the instructions.

Well not exactly I am saying i didn't put the clip on, Basicly I only was reading the Ford Tech info when I had a problem (getting the axle out was the only problem) and it said to toss the clip, I didn't read the reinstall directions and thus didn't replace the clip as I am sure it says to do. But I do have a new clip now that will be installed tonight and it should all workout after that. Sadly my local NAPA wasn't able to get the fluid in teh morning for me as promised so I won't be able to get the car on teh road completely again until tomorrow.

Long story short I am an ass and didn't put the new clip in as I should have especially with the new boot install and am paying for it now with haveing to take the drivers side apart again to get the that halfshaft and replace that tiny little clip.

I was only able to get that clip from Ford. Napa (and the other stores) didn't carry it and said it comes with their axles. Not too cheap for a 1-1/2" bent piece of metal.

Luckily when i bought my new CV boot last week it came with one so I was able to just use that. Well all is fixed and car is fine. I still have to drain the fluid and put in the new stuff tomorrow but that isn't a big deal at all. Thanx for the help guys.

Back