• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mystique vs Cobalt

ThNdFrSpd

CEG'er
I know a guy that wants to race. His car is a 2007 chevy cobalt with a 2.2L automatic 4 cyl no known mods. I have a 98 Mystique atx duratec.

Looking at the numbers I got him beat, but I don't know

Do I even have a chance? :confused:

It's going to be close, but I'll give the edge to the Cobalt. They are surprisingly quick little cars.

With a 5-spd i'd give the advantage to you. With the auto, you should be anywhere in the 16's with a good launch. My best stock time with my v6/atx was a 16.4@85mph.

Good to know. He claims to have beaten a V6 camaro.

wow, a v6 camaro. What year was it? makes all the difference... if it were a newer one with a 3800, no way.

if it was an older one with a 3.1L motor then obviously, my 98 corolla could beat one of those.

wow, a v6 camaro. What year was it? makes all the difference... if it were a newer one with a 3800, no way.

if it was an older one with a 3.1L motor then obviously, my 98 corolla could beat one of those.

I don't know the year but the cobalt was ahead until 80 mph then the camaro pulled ahead. So i guess when I said he beat him I should have said he beat him until 80 mph

Should have made that clear, sorry.

I don't get why people would even think about racing when they drive cars like these. If you enjoy your car, thats cool. Don't waste your gas or worse get caught for street racing. I'll bet you weren't planning on paying to run those cars on a track. If you were, then I'm even more confused. Save yourself some dignity and tell the kid he's stupid to want to race a 4 banger ATX with no mods!

Why is it stupid for them to race if they go to a dragstrip? It is stupid if they race on the street, but going to a dragstrip is anything but stupid. For a relatively cheap price they can race against eachother, and many other cars, make quite a few passes, all while being legal and safe. And they can watch "drag" cars while they are there, which is just cool to do anyways.

I dont understand why people always hate on other people just because they have slow cars?

I can garauntee that I have driven something that is quicker/faster than anybody else on here (except for 1 person). But I dont tell everyone else on here that its supid to race their cars.

I've been to a track with both a 1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme and a 1998 SVT Contour.

Drag racing is cool in that no matter what you drive you have a shot at winning, an example being that I have beat a 12.5 sec Cobra when I had the Cutlass.

No matter what you drive at a track its always fun.

Was it your own car or did you borrow someones fast car to drive? I'm impressed.:rolleyes:. I didn't say it was stupid to race at a strip. It just confuses me why you would pay money to say you run a 17 sec quarter mile:blackeye:. If he wants to run it, fine, try to have fun hitting a 70mph top speed.

It was in my dad's dragster. My best time is 7.81 @ 175, with a 1.26 60'.

It would be less than ideal if they lived far from a track and had to travel a while to get there. But most tracks are only about 25$ to race and that usually gets you 4+ hours and 4-5 runs at the minimum.

Well, then you can't GUARANTEE you have driven something faster than ANYONE on here..

I've driven something that is faster than that.. a 7.66 @ 182...

Now, I didn't MAKE that pass, but I have DRIVEN something that is faster than that.. :)

What type of car was that in? And did you actually make a pass or did you just drive it around the pits?

My dad has been 7.57 @ 185. So I have driven something that is quicker/faster than you.:cool:

Yeah I actually made a pass. I've made passes many times, but I only pulled a 9.6@142 at my best. It was a 1976 Chevy Chevelle.

Back