• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Nautilus Performance CAI

I know, I understand that different materials have different heat transfer properties. I was just saying that the BAT is probably better than any other aftermarket pipe due to the fact that it at least has a thermal type coating.

I agree, but i don't think $75 + shipping is worth it.

Plus i'd rather just cut a pipe and weld my own extensions off it for the hoses for 25$ with couplings.:shrug:

Last edited:
nope, its been snowing kinda non stop with 15 degree weather. I did finally get it painted falter putting many coats of primer baking sanding then finally paint black sand paint bake then clear coat. Also you need to cut in 2 different places to get this thing on the car. A hack saw is needed to cut off the bumper trim. Then cut a larger hole inside the fender wheel to fit the tube inside. Its alot harder and more cutting than i thought.

Also my attention is drawn to getting my 3l. Bagged is waiting for me to get one so he can install it.:crazy:

Ah i didnt think there was any cutting involved, that sucks..Maybe i should get one order while my bumper and all is off my car

nope, its been snowing kinda non stop with 15 degree weather. I did finally get it painted falter putting many coats of primer baking sanding then finally paint black sand paint bake then clear coat. Also you need to cut in 2 different places to get this thing on the car. A hack saw is needed to cut off the bumper trim. Then cut a larger hole inside the fender wheel to fit the tube inside. Its alot harder and more cutting than i thought.

Also my attention is drawn to getting my 3l. Bagged is waiting for me to get one so he can install it.:crazy:

buy a sawzaw they are $49 at homedepot save your time and energy plus everyone needs a sawzaw for around the house. Joey

wait i must have missed something. i thought the pipe slipped into the hole in the fender?

It does go through the hole but the hole is 2.5" big so you hav trim a little up top but there is a brace that runs right down behind the fender that is smack in the way that need to be removed it literally took me ten minutes to trim and cut the little brace and it was don but I also used a sawzaw easy and fastt. Joey

buy a sawzaw they are $49 at homedepot save your time and energy plus everyone needs a sawzaw for around the house. Joey

That and i might just rent it from a tool store near my house. 30 dollars rental with full refund upon return. I just have to buy my own saw.

Well after i recieved my CAI from joey i wet ahead and installed it..alittle bit of cutting and fitment and it was good to go..I love the sound and the intake pipe stays a heck of alot cooler..plus it just looks good..Good buy IMO.

Just got my intake. No directions. Just from looking at the stock set up. Do i have to remove the fuse box? Do you have to remove the fender liner to get the K&N in the spot and then reinstall it? Or do i just remove the plastic piece that goes into the fender and then cut a hole big enough to fit the filter thru?

Did the install. You have to take off your rim. Undo a few bolts for inner fender well, so you can bend it back, and do some cutting. I ended up cutting alittle to much in some areas not needed. but it turned out well. It seems to have alittle more pick up, slightly louder, and alittle more top end. My car is complete stock except for the intake now. 98 contour svt

Did the install. You have to take off your rim. Undo a few bolts for inner fender well, so you can bend it back, and do some cutting. I ended up cutting alittle to much in some areas not needed. but it turned out well. It seems to have alittle more pick up, slightly louder, and alittle more top end. My car is complete stock except for the intake now. 98 contour svt

sorry I told my wife to send you directions I have a PDF I guess she got sidetracked somehow. Glad to see you have it done once again I am sorry enjoy the CAI. Joey

Last edited:
Does anyone have any pics of just what needs to be cut? Maybe before and after of the area inside the fender?

about how long did it take for delivery? I ordered it about a week or so ago, I know it has to be painted but my car is across the country and I only get limited time to work on it and drive it.

I got mine in just a few days. Didnt get it painted, so it shipped out immediately. I painted it before install. Once you get it, count on all day for installation.

If you dont get the instructions included, email joey for the pdf. You will need them. The front bumper cover, front left wheel, black fender liner, battery, fuse box, all have to come out to get to the inner fender. You will need a sawsall to make the hole bigger for the intake tube to fit. You will also have to cut out a metal bracket in the fender. The bracket is right where the new K&N filter will sit.
It took me longer because I used a dremel tool with cutoff wheels to cut with. I didnt have a sawsall, but I found it (dremel) made more "controllable" cuts. Not such jagged edges on the metal.

Back