• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need a key, maybe?

loggerbomb

Hard-core CEG'er
Hey guys, been a while since I visited and must say two huge thumbs up on the new site - no idea when the face lift was actually finished, but I like it a lot!

Anyway, the reason for my post is that the contour I bought a couple summers ago never came with an original key. (or at least don't think it is an original key - I really do not know how to tell if it is. If it is a key with a transponder it is not programmed) I just used the fob in conjuncture with the key and it always started the car. Well as of today, the fob is dead. I have tried a new battery and nada. So I am wondering what my options are. Anyone know how much it is to get a new Pats key in town? (KW) Or would getting a new fob be cheaper? :confused:

Thanks for any input guys.

before you do anything, I would try reprogramming it to the car again. I've heard that they can lose programming if they get completely drained of power.

mike

You can get pats keys for under $20 on ebay, but because you obviously do not have 2 working keys, you will have to take it to the dealer to get it programmed. I'm not sure if dealers have dropped the price of new keys yet since the PATS keys hit the open market, used to be dealer only and the dealers pretty much ripped people off for them, but now it might be cheaper. Find out before you order one on ebay, since you need to go to the dealer anyway you might aswell not wait for shipping if you don't need to.

Well, oddly enough this morning it decided to work. No idea what is going on there as yesterday I tried it about 20 times.

Anyone know how to program the keys? Something about pins behind the glovebox?

I don't know, the people that sell the keys on ebay all say you need 2 working keys to program a new one.

I find the how to. I am going to see if the fob works a couple more times before I do anything. Might have been due to the new battery, I dunno.

What engine does this car have? If it has PATS it will not start without a 'programmed' key, the keyfob has nothing to to with PATS.

Back