• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New spring seats?

He's probably referring to the upper strut mounts that fit on top. And if your current strut mounts have miles on them, they slowly get compressed and lead to the "gap" that people experiece when they pop their hood and see the strut retainer plates not sitting flush on the strut towers.

For the relatively cheap price I'd replace them...I have on my cars..

Correct me if i'm wrong but aren't the spring seats part of the strut?

Nope, not part of the strut assembly. The top spring seat/perch, which is not a wear component, should be tapped out of the old top strut mount/insulator and fitted to the new top strut mount/insulator. The rear springs need this upper spring seat/perch and I have yet to come across any replacement spring or shock(except coilover kits)that operate correctly without the top spring seat/perch.

I always heard those referred to as "spring hats".

Seats on the bottom, hats on the top.

Well in many circles, such as VW, Audi, BMW, etc, these are referred to as "perches", both upper and lower. The Toyota followers sometimes call these spring seats, both upper and lower.
My experience is that it's location on a strut doesn't dictate it's name, other than lower or upper.
Live and learn - all these terms mean the same thing. Even within the VW enthusiasts, we use the terms interchangeably. Note I referenced spring seat/perch. I could just as easily said spring hat/perch or seat - all the same. Current ASAE Suspension training manual follows this line of thinking as well.

Back