• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Taurus 3.5 Duratec!

i say screw it i'm gonna try it i have searched this forum over and over and haven't found anyone that has really done the research if some has pm me let me know what i am getting into

Nobody's done it. I've kinda already mentioned what needs to be done and its no where easy or inexpensive. If I had to guess, its probably in the ballpark of $20-25K or more. It's hard to guess without diving into it.

This isn't just a swap where you throw in a 3.5L and your good to go. Nothing is the same, which means, you'll have to figure out how to mount the engine in the car, assuming it even fits perfect, which it won't. Some modication to the firewall, mounting locations, etc will need to be changed. Engine mananagement? Spending $2K on a standalone or buying an entire parts car to get the wiring harnesses? Transmisssion? MTX-75 wont work as it sits right now so you'll need an adapter plate, $$$$. Im sure the axles and intermediate shaft will all have to be completely redone. Don't even want to think how much that intermediate shaft is going to cost. Cooling system? Is the 2.5L cooling system going to cut it? Doubt it. Will it fit? Doubt it. Time for something custom or do some serious fabrication to the car to make the 3.5L radiator, etc work. I'm sure these are only some of things that need to be done to make it work.

Still going to do it?

yea i think so grew up doing thing people said shouldn't be done AKA chevy sb in a ranger, fr'd a jetta, small blocked a celica. i'm up for the challenge but keep throwing stuff out here to help the process it's helpful

yea i think so grew up doing thing people said shouldn't be done AKA chevy sb in a ranger, fr'd a jetta, small blocked a celica. i'm up for the challenge but keep throwing stuff out here to help the process it's helpful

I say while your at it, at least make the swap beneficial and convert it to RWD. ;)

considering that or why not go all out channel and use the awd from the 500?

I just personally think AWD is overrated. I mean you could convert to AWD, but personally I dont see the need too add a few hundred pounds for a mere 265 hp and slower shifts than an mtx. Plus, who knows the tq limits on the 500 AWD ATX. I doubt its built for big power, and its certainly not built for performance (probably a slushbox).

If it were me, built 3.5L, RWD conversion, tubbed rear end with solid axle, 2 speed auto, custom GT-47 turbo kit. No way, any AWD system is handling that. :laugh: Its fun to dream though.

the awd was just thrown in for kicks. bulilding new mounts will be time consuming enough. but i think rwd will be the way i go. any other suggestions? also the fusion is supposed tran is supposed to be able to 400whp i've never seen it on paper but there is a guy here in town who has a one off boosted one pretty fast

Back