• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Nitrous questions

FastFord

Hard-core CEG'er
Lets say I manage to get maximum 250whp out of my NA 3L, and then add a 100-125 shot of nitrous to it making 350whp max. Would I need larger injectors, MAF, and fuel pump if I am running a wet nitrous kit?

you can find calculations on the internet and maybe this forum that will help you answer your own question. As far as I know the injectors can do it but the fuel pump will need to be upgraded or an auxiliary will need to be added.

The nitrous kit should add extra fuel so your injectors don't have to. but your fuel pump will most likely need to be upgraded. depending on the kit it will add the nitrous and fuel after the MAF so it won't mess with the computer at all so no need for a MAF either. just run it on what you got. also, a 100 shot is quite a bit unless you plan on retarding your timing

I would have it tuned on a dyno for nitrous so no worry there. I will be running it after the MAF and before the TB. Over 300hp just seems like a lot for the stock MAF, but the question is does that matter with nitrous?

first. u will not get 250 whp on n/a 3l.thats that

2. do you have get tuned for nitrious? or is their like a max jet u can use without tuning?
3. what extra stuff do u have to do to run direct port injection instead of intake port

from ym understanding the stock maf tops out at 300 hp. that is why FI guys normally upgrade to a 80 or 90mm maf.

you will need larger injector to make it work.

I believe in the past a 50 to 75 shot was said to work without a tune.

I would have it tuned on a dyno for nitrous so no worry there. I will be running it after the MAF and before the TB. Over 300hp just seems like a lot for the stock MAF, but the question is does that matter with nitrous?

That is the best way to do it. You should not have to change your MAF. Air comes through your MAF and tells the computer how much fuel to add and your car runs great. You will be adding the Nitrous after the MAF so it wont measure it so the injectors still run the same as always. To prevent lean conditions your nitrous kit will also inject more fuel into the intake with the nitrous. So overall your car thinks it is running exactly the same as it always does no need to replace anything except maybe retard timing for safety

first. u will not get 250 whp on n/a 3l.thats that

2. do you have get tuned for nitrious? or is their like a max jet u can use without tuning?
3. what extra stuff do u have to do to run direct port injection instead of intake port

He's gonna be getting awful close here once he gets his equal length headers. He's got every bolt on ive heard of and even an st220 manifold. And once he's dyno tuned for all it, I can't see him getting much below 240 or so. He's not the normal kid who comes on here thinking high numbers can be had with intake an exhaust, that's for sure lol

Since the MAF measures just the air coming through I would think that it would need to be upgraded in order to run over 300hp. Reason is because it is sort of like boost, the nitrous is burning much faster causing the engine to produce more power and pull much more air through the intake. I could be wrong though, I will do some more research on that when I have time.

With the injectors I hope I don't need to upgrade them, and I would think I can just run a larger fuel nozzle to compensate. But I guess I will have to do some more research on that as well.

I looked into running direct port but found out that its only beneficial with over a 200 shot, and to me wouldn't be worth the extra cost and time for no real gains.

As Klasky said, 250whp NA is my goal, but can imagine more around 230-240. I plan on achieving that with NPG CAI, EH ST220, 65mm TB, ported LIM, PnP heads, SHM longtube headers, and a dyno tune.

As Klasky said, 250whp NA is my goal, but can imagine more around 230-240. I plan on achieving that with NPG CAI, EH ST220, 65mm TB, ported LIM, PnP heads, SHM longtube headers, and a dyno tune.

i wish i had the chance with long tube headers. and i also really wanted to get some custom cams. and a 65mm tb but the 65mm dont fit on the 3l uims iirc.
u should maybe look into the cams too? all the other stuff is alot easier to bolt on

Cams would be awesome, but they are going to be very pricey. I would consider it if anyone has any ideas on getting a set.

I did some research into the cams. Seems like you can either go with a 500-600$ cam and get 10-15hp or go with a full race came that would require custom dished pistons and extensive work to the heads like valve springs etc, imo $3k for maybe 40hp out of some cams is not worth it at all. You would also start to run into problems with the intake runners not being able to flow as much as the cams would need them to and other things like that. I will probably look into getting my svt cams reground to get an extra 10-15hp out of them, as I know shosource was going to offer that back in like 07, I will probably speak with them when the time comes.

Pistons needed for cams?? You can send them off to crower/crane or from what I have here mountune to have them reground to specs. Also depending on grind you will most likely need springs and retainers but not pistons or rods unless you plan on upping comp to 12 or 13 to 1. Also a jet claiming say a 75 shot will net you more in the range of 55-65hp depending on location and altitude.

Back