• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Oil leak finally fixed!

babblefish

New CEG'er
I've had an oil leak in my 1998 Contour SE for what seems like forever. Got to the point where I was adding oil every 3 or 4 days. Wherever I parked, my car would mark it's spot with oil drips. It got so bad that oil ended up all over the power steering pump, the exhaust (smelled wonderful:rolleyes:), suspension, brakes, everywhere. At stop lights, I'd be protected by a smoke screen (kinda embarrassing). Sometimes I'd lose my power steering because the belt would start slipping. I've used degreaser before, but I guess not enough to clean things well enough to pin-point the leak. I finally just about dunked the entire engine compartment in degreaser and scrubbed as much as I could to get things really clean. Drove the car to a buddies shop and put the car on a hoist (bottom of engine was covered again in oil) with the engine running and it looked like it was coming from the oil pressure switch located behind the air conditioner compressor. Tough little bugger to get to, too without removing the compressor. Anyway, decided to give it a try and replaced that $15 part. Been monitoring for oil leaks the last couple of days and nothing! No more drips! Because there was so much oil on and around the power steering pump, I had thought that it or it's fittings were leaking power steering fluid too. Nope, doesn't appear to be the case. So far, it and it's fittings are staying dry too. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will keep an eye on things. I be one happy camper.:laugh: I'd do a jig, but I'd probably fall down, then I'd be the one leaking...

Good that it was cheap to fix. I ended up replacing most of the gaskets in mine to stop the leaks, from valve covers, oil pressure sending unit, oil pan gasket, transmission pan gasket and the PTFE o-ring on the pressure line on the power steering.

Ouch. I had earlier replaced the oil pan gasket too, thinking that was the source of the leak, but nope. I also knew it wasn't my valve cover gaskets because everything was dry right below the valve covers and the spark plug wells were dry. I was praying it wasn't the timing chain cover or the horizontal block split because those would have been a job and a half to fix.

That's great news. Feels good to get that monkey off your back! Nice job.

Isn't it nice when fixing a leak is simple?

I hate leaks, and it frustrates me when an older engine starts leaking everything from multiple places.

"We put men on the Moon in 1969, and we still can't design engines and transmissions to keep vital fluids inside for a reasonable period of time." That quote came from an engineer friend of mine with a Triumph TR-7 that leaked oil in his garage from the day he bought it new at the dealership in 1980.

That quote came from an engineer friend of mine with a Triumph TR-7 that leaked oil in his garage from the day he bought it new at the dealership in 1980.

sounds like the perfect excuse to build a TR-8 ....G.

Ouch. I had earlier replaced the oil pan gasket too, thinking that was the source of the leak, but nope. I also knew it wasn't my valve cover gaskets because everything was dry right below the valve covers and the spark plug wells were dry. I was praying it wasn't the timing chain cover or the horizontal block split because those would have been a job and a half to fix.

I thought I was going to have to perform an abortion to change the high pressure power steering hose, that is a 4 hour job in itself. However I had a PTFE Teflon o-ring that was left over from a previous job on another car that fixed it in 10 minutes. The timing cover is a total PITA where pulling the engine is necessary. If you go that far, you might as well replace the chains as well.

Back