• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

rivet removal from seat bracket assembly, help please...

ghosstryda

New CEG'er
I've been trying to remove the bracket assembly of the front passenger seat and I'm having a major problem with the rivets. i used a small drill bit and tried to drilled the center of the rivet but all that did was wear down my drill bit.... so i then bought a grinding tip for my dremel and tried to dremel the head of the rivet off. that didn't work as well as i had hoped. the head of the rivet was grounded off but the rivet is still intact and firmly attached to the seat.... its as if it was welded onto the bracket assembly... this first rivet has taken me more than 3 hours and is really pissing me off :(

any suggestions or recommendations on how to remove the f'ing thing would be very much appreciated... thanks in advance :)

Try some new cobalt drill bits. And if the rivets are steel, then you need to proceed slowly, drill straight, and use some lube. Try a small bit first, and then step up in size to get er done.

Back