• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

RWD CSVT: PRT's CDW-27 RWD conversion build thread.

I really hate to bring it up and I'm fairly certain Josh has already noticed it but I want to know the thinking. Are you sure you want to trust your front wheels to a wheel bearing and some snap rings? Because I don't see anything else that would be holding that hub on. I would be worried. But like I said I want to know the thinking behind it. Even though it's pressed in, a snap ring would be the only thing holding the outer race in the knuckle. That is assuming the bearing itself doesn't blow apart since it will be on a heavier load durring a turn without the axle holding it in. Perhaps a plate with a bevel machined in to fit inside the rear of the knuckle? I don't know if you would have enough threads on the hub shaft for the nut to still be effective though . . .

I really hate to bring it up and I'm fairly certain Josh has already noticed it but I want to know the thinking. Are you sure you want to trust your front wheels to a wheel bearing and some snap rings? Because I don't see anything else that would be holding that hub on. I would be worried. But like I said I want to know the thinking behind it. Even though it's pressed in, a snap ring would be the only thing holding the outer race in the knuckle. That is assuming the bearing itself doesn't blow apart since it will be on a heavier load durring a turn without the axle holding it in. Perhaps a plate with a bevel machined in to fit inside the rear of the knuckle? I don't know if you would have enough threads on the hub shaft for the nut to still be effective though . . .

Remember that the bearing is pressed in. In its normal configuration this is all thay holds the bearing in. On every bearing I have removed the snap ring doesn't hold it and the axle doesn't either.

Remember that the bearing is pressed in. In its normal configuration this is all the holds the bearing in. On every bearing I have removed the snap ring doesn't hold it and the axle doesn't either.

This is exactly how this setup is installed in the rear of every 2WD Ford Escape on the road, and the same way it's installed in your car, the axle thru shaft is now simply attached to the hub instead of an axle. The press fit bearing isn't going anywhere and it's a very common setup. Also, if you're thinking the axle would hold it in if it ever came apart, it would not. CVs pull apart with minimal effort, and the bearing is under no load greater than stock.

Last edited:
I was more of thinking worse case scenario. I've seen an outer race slip in a press fitting. And once again I was worried about increased load drurring a turn as compared to being on the rear wheels. As for the axle the cv housing would hold it in since it doesn't fit through the knuckle. This would still be a huge failure but not a catastrophic one as the wheel would stay on the car. Sorry I didn't make my worry precisely clear. And I worry about the worst case scenario. Course I suppose it all depends how hard you drive it lol

Appreciate the input, but I'm not worried. Not even a little bit. Nothing is going anywhere, and it will not be driven lightly.

How are things coming along with the car Josh? We'd love to have this car or the matte black track car out to our Dragon run sometime, would really bridge the gap from the past to the present and who knows, could turn into a nice meet for the CEG!

How are things coming along with the car Josh? We'd love to have this car or the matte black track car out to our Dragon run sometime, would really bridge the gap from the past to the present and who knows, could turn into a nice meet for the CEG!

Likely focusing on getting the track car done first. Haven't made any new progress on this since the shop is full of other work and the purchase of the rear end fell through.

the modular rear subframe is convenient isnt it ;)

i love working at the ford dealer as a heavy tech, im always keepin my mind open to ideas!

How similar are the Ford T-Bird, Cougar, and Mark 8 independent suspensions to the Mustang? I thought they were close, perhaps a thought. I am sure they are dirt cheap also.

Back