• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Short Throw Shifter

autoxr1

CEG'er
Has anyone purchased the DPT Performance short throw shifter that's available for $38 shipped on eBay? It looks like a nice piece - - even has an aluminum reverse lock-out. However, I would feel more comfortable buying if someone has had first-hand experience with it. Thanks! :cool:

Has anyone purchased the DPT Performance short throw shifter that's available for $38 shipped on eBay? It looks like a nice piece - - even has an aluminum reverse lock-out. However, I would feel more comfortable buying if someone has had first-hand experience with it. Thanks! :cool:

Keep me in the loop because I'd buy it 4 sure also, as long as it isn't junk.

Does it come as a complete kit (shifter, hardware, boot etc...)

I searched & could not find it on Ebay, could u PM me the link?

Thanks allot, I'd greatly appreciate it!

It look like some of the other short throw shifters out there so it shouldnt be awful. People will tell you to weld the bottom in place though so it doesnt pop off and leave you stuck.

It look like some of the other short throw shifters out there so it shouldnt be awful. People will tell you to weld the bottom in place though so it doesnt pop off and leave you stuck.

I have read the threads about welding the shift tower bolt in place, but have not seen anything about welding something on the shifter itself. Is that what you are referring to?

no, he is referring to the welds for the bottom shift cable ball. on everything but stock or the CFM shifters, they are welded on and the welds have a tendancy to break, more so on the cheap knock-offs. honestly, if all you want to do is shorten the height of the shifter, which is all that shifter does (all but the Steeda/FRPP and the CFM shifter actually) then just cut down the stock shifter. its cheaper and you wont have to worry about the welds breaking. if you want a real short throw shifter then you will have to spend the money on either the Steeda/FRPP shifter (and then make a riser plate) or the CFM shifter (which comes with a riser plate).

Is it the ball that breaks off or the whole shaft where it meets the shifter? That one looks like its either riveted or screwed the shaft either of which could be beefed up with some cold weld. I'm always interested to see a properly welded shifter but no one seems to have one thats not already installed.

Wouldn't buy anything else but a B&M or the Steeda. Look at the B&M compared to a Cosmo/OBX where the one in the ebay ad is side by side. All the same product with different names. B&M is a lot beefier. I'll post pics today. Get what you pay for and it won't leave you on the side of the road.

Wouldn't buy anything else but a B&M or the Steeda. Look at the B&M compared to a Cosmo/OBX where the one in the ebay ad is side by side. All the same product with different names. B&M is a lot beefier. I'll post pics today. Get what you pay for and it won't leave you on the side of the road.
theres no point in buying the B&M since its not really any shorter than a cut down stock shifter. for the price of the Steeda you might as well get the CFM which comes with a riser plate instead of having to find/fabricate one. The CFm also has a shorter throw than the Steeda and there are no welds to break.

I have been using the one from the ebay add for a couple months now, had todras help me install it. the ball hasn't broke yet but whad did happen was the shifter cable literally ripped off the shifter ball, so I had to get another set of shifter cables. just stick with stock so you don't have to worry about anything breaking.

theres no point in buying the B&M since its not really any shorter than a cut down stock shifter. for the price of the Steeda you might as well get the CFM which comes with a riser plate instead of having to find/fabricate one. The CFm also has a shorter throw than the Steeda and there are no welds to break.

FWIW, I like my B&M a lot more than my Steeda Tri-ax. The Steeda, while shorter than stock, is still quite tall. The B&M not requiring a riser plate is a BIG plus in my mind. If I was keeping my cars and could find the same deal I got on my B&M, I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

As far as comparing a cut-down stock shifter to a B&M, they really aren't on the same playing field IMO. The B&M is nicely finished works better with your stock knob and boot with the supplied machined lockout slide.

FWIW, I like my B&M a lot more than my Steeda Tri-ax. The Steeda, while shorter than stock, is still quite tall. The B&M not requiring a riser plate is a BIG plus in my mind. If I was keeping my cars and could find the same deal I got on my B&M, I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

As far as comparing a cut-down stock shifter to a B&M, they really aren't on the same playing field IMO. The B&M is nicely finished works better with your stock knob and boot with the supplied machined lockout slide.
the height of the shifter is irrelevant, only the distance from the pivot point to the lower shift cable mounting point. you could have a shifter thats 2ft tall and if the distance between the pivot ball and the lower cable mount is large enough, still have a throw that is shorter than stock. the B&M doesnt change that distance, just the height of the shift knob, and while that does shorten the throw slightly, its not much. the Steeda shifter moves the lower mount 10mm farther from the ball, so even though it is slightly taller than the B&M, the throws should be shorter. The CFM shifter moves the lower mount 15mm from the ball so its throw is even shorter than the Steeda. it also has an adjustable height above the ball with its lowest setting (about 10" overall length) being right about the same height as the B&M and its highest setting about an inch shorter than stock. it also comes with a riser plate so you dont have find one or fabricate one.

theres no point in buying the B&M since its not really any shorter than a cut down stock shifter.

True, it won't be any shorter than a stock one cut but the B&M shifter has an offset ball compared to the stock shifter which changes the geometry of the shift and the shifting distance from gear to gear. BUT striker does know what he is talking about. Cut the stocker and see how you like it, if you don't you can find another stock one for less than $20 shipped to switch back to.

the height of the shifter is irrelevant, only the distance from the pivot point to the lower shift cable mounting point. you could have a shifter thats 2ft tall and if the distance between the pivot ball and the lower cable mount is large enough, still have a throw that is shorter than stock. the B&M doesnt change that distance, just the height of the shift knob, and while that does shorten the throw slightly, its not much. the Steeda shifter moves the lower mount 10mm farther from the ball, so even though it is slightly taller than the B&M, the throws should be shorter. The CFM shifter moves the lower mount 15mm from the ball so its throw is even shorter than the Steeda. it also has an adjustable height above the ball with its lowest setting (about 10" overall length) being right about the same height as the B&M and its highest setting about an inch shorter than stock. it also comes with a riser plate so you dont have find one or fabricate one.

It's not irrelevant when you're passenger's knee is constantly in the way of the stock or Steeda, but not with the B&M. Also, I never measured it, but I would be willing to bet that the throw on the B&M is shorter than the Steeda. Furthermore, having to install a riser plate is not worth any shorter throw that the Steeda MAY have over the B&M.

in your case, your right, it may not be since you would have to get under the car and drop the exhaust since you have a 2000. for anyone that has a 98-99 (or has the metal shifter base) how is the CFM (or Steeda) not worth installing the riser plate? its not like its hard, you just put it on top of the shifter base before you put the metal shifter housing back down.:shrug:

and if your hitting your passengers knees when shifting, tell them to get their damn knees out of the way or youll make them ride in the back. (never had this problem even with the stock shifter, much less the CFM shifter) :shrug:

i am actually curious what the throw length is from 3rd to 4th for both the B&M and the Steeda, if you would be willing to measure it.

I have been using the one from the ebay add for a couple months now, had todras help me install it. the ball hasn't broke yet but whad did happen was the shifter cable literally ripped off the shifter ball, so I had to get another set of shifter cables. just stick with stock so you don't have to worry about anything breaking.

Sounds like the cable was damaged already and finally broke.

Back