• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

so it started, barely

given that that information was obtained from Dom and he seems to WANT my build to fail.

yeah kaos.

dom is a jerk and he wants everyone to overpay for his services.

he brags about his car putting out 204 hp TUNED. sorry buddy, i made 205 with a wack tune. game over!

he says my car is a hackjob. it's done so nicely right now its not even funny. looks like it came from the factory like it is, and its a 05 setup (worst fitment, lol)

good luck with your car. i have no answers for you really, i'm guessing clogged exhaust or cats can do it. if the exhaust sat hanging down under the car, make sure there's no mice in it ;D

guys if his wires were out of order it probably wouldnt run at all.

the injectors sound fishy. i'd make sure you have good ones. i dont knwo what else to tell ya man sounds messed up :(

it didn't start or anything with the stock tune, just turned over and backfired.

I had joey tune it for 24lb injectors, but explained they were the stock injectors from a 02 sable engine.

is there such a thing as a black injector on this engine? because the appearence of my injectors is as though they were ll black at some point and have faded to grey, and they seem to be different shades of grey, is this normal?

theres a chance my problem could simply be that the injectors from the engine i bought were :censored::censored::censored::censored:ed up to start with.

Your car should start with the 24lbs injectors and stock tune. You need to do some work to find out whats causing the problem, if you have a set of stock injectors throw those in take the tune off and see if it idles. If it does throw the other injectors on and take a look. Also let me know the part numbers on the injectors maybe I can help you out.

guys if his wires were out of order it probably wouldnt run at all.

the injectors sound fishy. i'd make sure you have good ones. i dont knwo what else to tell ya man sounds messed up :(

it will run, but it will run like crap. I saw it happen. I know because I put the plug wires on and forgot it was 4-6-5 not 4-5-6. car ran like crap and made the pre-cats glow red because they where seeing unburnt fuel. happened to others also. correct plug wire order corrected all.

To check for injector issues you can check to see if your injectors are firing by popping the intake manifold off and stuffing rags down each port. Unplug the coil pack and crank it for a few seconds. Check each rag for fuel to verify each injector is firing. If one isn't you may have an issue with your injector clips. The returnless clips always f'ing break so that could be your issue.

thanks for all the help guys, I'm going to take a look at the coil plug wiring today, as well as check the injectors more thoroughly.

as for the plug wires though, they are 465 321, just like they are supposed to be according to the contour coil. I've checked them several times, i guess a few folks have just skipped past those posts or something.

what may well be wrong it the splicing of the connection to the taurus coil. does any one know how those 4 wires should be spliced from the contour harness to the taurus plug end? theres one larger wire, which is clearly the 12v source, then three signal wires, one for each pair of cylinders. it's currently basically wired straight across, using the 12v wire as an indicator of direction, but this may be bad thinking to assume the taurus coil pack connector is pinned out identically to the contours. when i asked dom back in the day, he basically just verified the larger wire was the 12v supply, and said the rest should be obvious. hence the way I did it.

the "gas on rag" idea wouldn't really prove more than my black wet spark plugs prove. the question is are they closing

If they arent opening and spraying fuel into a cylinder, the computer is going to think the mixture is to lean and then make it uber rich, flooding out some cylinders and causing misfires.

thanks for all the help guys, I'm going to take a look at the coil plug wiring today, as well as check the injectors more thoroughly.

as for the plug wires though, they are 465 321, just like they are supposed to be according to the contour coil. I've checked them several times, i guess a few folks have just skipped past those posts or something.

what may well be wrong it the splicing of the connection to the taurus coil. does any one know how those 4 wires should be spliced from the contour harness to the taurus plug end? theres one larger wire, which is clearly the 12v source, then three signal wires, one for each pair of cylinders. it's currently basically wired straight across, using the 12v wire as an indicator of direction, but this may be bad thinking to assume the taurus coil pack connector is pinned out identically to the contours. when i asked dom back in the day, he basically just verified the larger wire was the 12v supply, and said the rest should be obvious. hence the way I did it.

the "gas on rag" idea wouldn't really prove more than my black wet spark plugs prove. the question is are they closing

wait, so you wired the coil wires from the pcm without consulting a wiring diagram? I would be willing to bet thats your problem. get your hands on the taurus wiring diagram and check the wiring. are the plug wires on the taurus coil pack numbered the same as the contour? what year taurus is the pack from?

wait, so you wired the coil wires from the pcm without consulting a wiring diagram? I would be willing to bet thats your problem. get your hands on the taurus wiring diagram and check the wiring. are the plug wires on the taurus coil pack numbered the same as the contour? what year taurus is the pack from?

well, what i asked for at the time was an 02 taurus wiring diagram, what i was given on the other site was basically, "yeah, your right about the big wire being 12v supply, from there it's self explanatory", yeah, i know right?

well alright, I guess i a dummy because on closer inspection, the injectors themselves are grey, the connectors are faded black... dur...

so on to the coil wiring, I took a picture of the splice on the car, as well as a picture of the old connector that i had paired up to the old taurus harness purely for the sake of remembering how it was in case i find a use for the taurus harness.

I also did verify all the injectors are spraying when i turn it over, but for lack of a second ignition operator, wasn't able to listen to each one to see if they are closing/moving at all. a quick question, what would an injector do if the polarity was reversed?

and I verified that the plug wires are right per the labeling on the taurus coil.

you guys do know my car has the egr still right? would a stuck egr valve cause this large of an issue?

and, if the coil had gone bad on the taurus, would that cause it to exhibit my symptoms?

coil pack splice job
img6505post.jpg

old coil connector
img6506post.jpg

taurus wire order is the same
img6507post.jpg

grey injectors
img6502post.jpg

i dont think its your egr. its very simple, before you experiment with anything, you need a taurus wiring diagram, it will tell you what wire is for what coil, and match it to the contour wiring. just because you put them in the same order on the connector doesnt mean it is correct.

ok heres what i see

Contour:

+12V- VT/BK
cyl 1/5 - BN/BU
cyl 3/4 - BN/GN
cyl 2/6 - Y/W

02 Taurus:
+12V - R
cyl 1/5 - Y/BK
cyl 3/4 - Y/R
cyl 2/6 - Y/W

SOOOO

BN/BU --> Y/BK
BN/GN --> Y/R
BN/y --> Y/W

looks like you got it wrong

i dont think its your egr. its very simple, before you experiment with anything, you need a taurus wiring diagram, it will tell you what wire is for what coil, and match it to the contour wiring. just because you put them in the same order on the connector doesnt mean it is correct.

ok heres what i see

Contour:

+12V- VT/BK
cyl 1/5 - BN/BU
cyl 3/4 - BN/GN
cyl 2/6 - Y/W

02 Taurus:
+12V - R
cyl 1/5 - Y/BK
cyl 3/4 - Y/R
cyl 2/6 - Y/W

SOOOO

BN/BU --> Y/BK
BN/GN --> Y/R
BN/y --> Y/W

looks like you got it wrong

freakin awesome man, so it looks like we're on to the standard "doms an arse hole" thread

PS: here's the half I had, I'll probably write up a thread on this after I get it working to save others my pain
fordcontourcoilpackwiri.jpg

ya know what else, that should have been obvious with misfires on 1,3,4, and 5 also explains why nothing happens when you pull number 4, wow

HAHA! now it sounds right, fires right up

still not running great, but i'm pretty sure thats because those poor spark plugs have seen some $#!t. that and I think my egr pipe coupling may be leaking now from all the times the uims been off. fuel's probably pretty stale too, so hopefully it'll be in tip top after i fix those minor issues.

thanks for all the help guys

well some new autolite platinums and some tape on the evap line which the egr apparently melted and we're making some serious progress. still seems to have a miss on one pot, but i cant determine which one to start trouble shooting until i fix a small coolant leak which appears to be coming from the hose from the pump to the steel front coolant pipe. not bad though, plenty of progress for one day.

thanks again guys, especially fox. that coil info was a life saver.

Back