• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stupid question: can we run a MAP sensor?

TRicker

Hard-core CEG'er
i mean.... can the xcal convert our PCM system to use a MAP sensor? i'm just looking at 4cyl ITB setups, and they would have to run a series of MAP sensors or something wouldnt they?

I think the ITB guys usually use something like megasquirt or AEM instead of a stock PCM. also, how many of those 4 cyls are actually ITB and not individual carbs? I know a lot of the Locost guys go individual carbs instead of ITB.

so i talked to some car geeks that know their stuff locally, and they tell me that ITB's are run specifically on TPS readings, and can adjust very slightly to temperature via the o2 sensors. however they say that its not common in places like the midwest for guys to run ITB's cuz they are so hard to tune anyways and the temps here change so drastically that it wouldnt be safe. so i have a plan that i could feasibly work with to make it happen but it would be just stupid to try and run them cuz it would require constant tune changes (and i'm no good at that lol)

I have never used the xcal but I am going to guess no. MAP is a pressure transducer and MAF is a volumetric flow meter. A vehicle that uses a pressure transducer measures the the manifold pressure. Because the computer knows the flow constant for example 2500cc/rpm and because resistance to flow creates pressure (throttle body closed) an introduction of a positive inlet (throttle body opening) will change the manifold pressure. A this pressure differential can now be used to derive a flow rate.

MAF on the other hand essentially are just a sensor and a body that can measure the flowrate of the air passing through this body. You can google "volumetric flow meter" and read more about it to get a better understanding.

Because these two methods of measuring air flow through the engine need different calculations my guess is that they would not be interchangeable by a device that can change parameters, not formulas.

Back