• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

threading a shifter?

ConcepTrs913

Veteran CEG'er
I was looking into gettin another short shifter because I had one before, but it broke. I don't really care about the performance too much I just really hate how long the stock one is. I searched around and couldn't find much, but is it possible to cut down the stock one and then rethread it? I have read about it before I think, but how could i get it rethreaded and where?

**placed this in the wrong section, please lock it up.**

Last edited:
cut it off and rethread it in place, its been done in the past. Otherwise get a stock one from the junkyard and cut it down then rethread it. If you don't know how to rethread please...I mean PLEASE drop the idea.

003-Copy.jpg

really not all that hard. i cut mine down 2.5" and deleted the reverse lockout. just cut the end off and use a die to put threads on it.

Why? then you are threading a lot more material than you need to and wearing out your threading die...

Much easier to continue an already-existing set of threads than to start cold on a blank shifter.

And "wearing out the die"? You can't be serious...

Much easier to continue an already-existing set of threads than to start cold on a blank shifter.

Not to mention that with Bennett's method you can cut a bit off at a time until you reach a height that you are happy with and don't have to keep starting on a blank all over again.

yes, taps and dies can wear, just like a drill bit.

It just seems like alot of extra work to thread the whole shifter then make your cut. but i do see your point of working from the existing thread.

yes, taps and dies can wear, just like a drill bit.

Well, sure, but that's what it's designed to do. And it's not like you're threading an extra 3 feet of steel - it's more like 3 inches, tops. And it's not like you're out there threading shifters every day; I'd wager that particular die gets used once every 5 years or less. And it's not like a replacement wouldn't cost any more than $5 at Sears.

So I wasn't really indicating that I thought the die wouldn't wear; I just thought it was a weak reason.

I threaded it before cutting mine down, I just thought it would be hard to start threading the shaft if I didn't cut it straight (had to use a hand saw). It really only took me ten minutes to thread it down and I did it three inches extra. And I actually used a 1/2x20 die and it wasn't the right size, but I just ended up rethreading my knob as well.

Back