• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

TIMKEN Clutch Release Bearing Warning!

BAD SVT

Addicted CEG'er
Hey everyone. I recently picked up from rockauto.com a timken clutch release bearing or TOB (part#614155) for my svt. Rockauto and numerous other website show that this^ is the Throw Out Bearing for any 2.5 V6 car. Incorrect. Simply looking at the timken one, it's obvious it will not fit. It is much bigger. I'm not sure how rockauto & other websites got this wrong. Nevertheless, the perpetuation lingers. So do yourself a favor & get the whole slave cylinder instead. Even more surprising is that while searching the forums, nuthn regarding this came up. I can't be the first person to have purchased this:shrug:. Anyway, if a mod can stickie this to make others aware, that'd be great. If not, well, as you were...

I didnt know you could buy just the bearing... Or why you would.

Yeah. I did because of the brandname TIMKEN. One of the best out there as far craftsmanship & quality. So i thought i'd simply get the bearing and have it pressed into the slave cylinder. Especially because it is the part in question that fails on slave cylinders.

Yeah, I think 99% of customers just buy the whole slave cylinder assembly.

You're right. I was thinking that.

Back