• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Transmission

auiotour

CEG'er
So i finally got time to open her up to find a hair of metal shavings, and all gears, syncrols, and shifting forks in mint condition.

I replaced the clutch and flywheel as it had been a bit burned up as it was showing purple.

I replaced one of the forks just cause its the new design versus the old design.

I also noticed when I pulled the bolt holding up the tranny that it was broke. I am wondering if this and small piece busted off my shifting cable could be either of the problems. Hopefully in the next weekend I can get this all figured out. I estimate I got 650 in parts to spare that I can send back to bill. Wow all that work.

So, your saying that you took the tranny apart, Right? What parts did you replace while you had it apart? You said the shift fork, hope that is not all. What parts do you have left, that you are wanting to send back?

Not trying to pry, but you should replace the bearings while you have the thing out and apart.

We tore it all apart, the bearings are in mint condition. I am so surprised. The transmission parts had to have been recently replaced. I have put 5k on the car since I bought it used. All the forks except one were upgraded part numbers. Exact ones as ones I had ordered. The fork with the bearings was upgraded as the old one had none. The gears, syncrols, bearings. everything was tip top shape. no signs of wearing to be shown.

I have third gear, and syncrols, and the other two shift forks. plus some other little parts that should be replaced at install.

The bolt I needed was the entire assembly. I picked it up for 108, plus the shifter linkage. Today I finally get to get my car running again. Well tomorrow at the latest. Its going to be so nice driving the svt again and not my parents expedition!

The transmission is leaking through the spline on the drivers side. going to have to check it out. Also had a nice spark out of the engine bay at start up. Finishing it up tomorrow.

Back