• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tune-up didnt clear codes

Nah, it'll be back... He didn't do anything that would have fixed it.

Might be only a few hours, or days, or even months, but it will return.

Steve

Youre good man. I'm back many moons later. It failed emissions because of the CEL. I took it for a 120 mile roundtrip and as the fuel light came on, the CEL went out. It had been on for thousands. This was the window of opportunity to get it passed and it did. A day or 3 later, it was on again.

Autozone scanned it and the only code is Catylist Efficiency low bank 1. I'm considering the eliminator, but I am still confused about which is the correct O2 sensor and where it is located. I think it is one of the lower ones but not sure of location. If I lay down on the ground near the driver's side door, I see what looks like an O2 sensor in the exhaust. Where's the other lower, near the front? Very confused on this.

Bank 1 is firewall side. Lower or 2nd is the one after the precatalytic converter.

If you drive the car up "Rhino ramps", you will see this O2 sensor just under the driver seat (middle of the car).

Note that you will not be able to see the Bank 1 Upper sensor from the top or bottom (it is hidden very well). So the one you will see when you drive it up the ramps near the driver seat will be the Bank 1 Lower.

I have a how-to for the installation of the electronic mileliminators. There is also a thread about using spark plug non-foulers.

M&M how to.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=56

SP non-foulers.
http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-ho...k-plug-anti-foulers-remove-ses-cel-light.html

Last edited:
Failure of the downstream sensor is not likely a cause for setting that code.

These cat efficiency codes on our cars are often false codes caused by the factory setting the limits too tight. There is a TSB about it with a reflash available for some vehicles.

I have had that code off and on many times over the life of my car (I bought it new) and still have very clean smog tests.

Clear the code and see how long it takes to return. If it takes several months, you have a healthy cat.

On my car, the code has not repeated since replacing the upstream sensor after it failed. A marginally healthy upstream sensor can also trip those codes.

Back