• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Turbo Zetec Dyno

On a side note, if you are running higher-than-stock RPMs, and have replaced your springs, etc, then a cam will really help your top end. Also, if you are running higher RPMs it may be beneficial to swap heads (easier than trying to convert your head to mechanical lifters I believe) and go with mechanical lifters as I'm told they perform better at higher (over 7000???) RPMs. I'll see if I can dig that article up as well and post a link.

I'm not convinced that your problem is from your cams however. I can't recall a time where someone was maxed because of their cams when dealing with the HP range you are.

Good luck.

On a side note, if you are running higher-than-stock RPMs, and have replaced your springs, etc, then a cam will really help your top end. Also, if you are running higher RPMs it may be beneficial to swap heads (easier than trying to convert your head to mechanical lifters I believe) and go with mechanical lifters as I'm told they perform better at higher (over 7000???) RPMs. I'll see if I can dig that article up as well and post a link.

I'm not convinced that your problem is from your cams however. I can't recall a time where someone was maxed because of their cams when dealing with the HP range you are.

Good luck.

im not running past the stock redline so i dont need the stiffer valve springs yet.

again im not sure its cams or the exhaust. im really leaning toward collapsed or slightly collapsed hydraulic lifters. this would cause the valves to not open as far as they should do too excessive lash. that will limit the air/fuel allowed into the cylinders and in the upper RPMs really limit the power.

The cam timing may be off too. If the exhaust cams are in the process of closing, or the intake cams closing too early, that power drop off would certainly make sense.

so i pulled the turbo off in order to replace the factory oil separator gasket thats been leaking for some time now and i decided to look up the part number of the compressor housing. turns out its not a T3 Super 60 compressor housing. its only a T3 60. this explains the drop off of power. if i were to up the boost the power should continue up.

Daniel,
You are right inline with Seawolf over on the NECO forums. Here's his sig...

2000 Rio Red I4 Cougar
200whp & 210wtq at 9psi-Street
254whp & 276wtq with a NX 35shot-Track
WRX TDO4 Turbo , Mitsubishi Starion Intercooler, Sawed-Off Short Throw Shifter, Freedom Design Strut Tower Bar, 17" ZN Rims, Roush Springs, HKS Super-Sequential BOV, Nitrous Express 35 shot, Esslinger Cam Gears, Full 3" exhaust, StreetFlight Chip

I have to agree with TourDeForce. I bet that if you threw a set of cam gears on there and dyno'd it, that youd see TONS of power up top. I really doubt that the cams are an issue. Just look at any of the turbo Focus guys. Their cam specs are almost identical to ours and they don't choke until 6k. I'd also suspect a boost leak. Either that or, can you see if they are pulling a bunch of timing up top to make it safe?

CTA motorsports used to carry CAT cams which were all for hydro lifters. I just quickly checked their site and didn't see anything. Here's my old cam comparison sheet...

http://home.wi.rr.com/buttonpuncher/Contour/Zetec Cam Comparison.htm

BTW, do you have the videos posted anywhere? I've still never seen/heard your turbo Zetec in action.

HTH,
Ben

Last edited:
the only ones i have are the ones that Hector took. give me minute to find them.

do note that they are not at WOT as i was still babying it since i had just gotten it tuned.

Edit:
.....and it is a Zetec.:cool: All I got to say is HOT DAYUM!!!!:drool: Once all the little things are worked out, WATCH OUT turbo SVTs.;)

The owner will be on shortly to contribute some info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HqXv6nbqgc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veqfX2erTn0

also im not doing cam gears yet as i dont know where there is a dyno near me.

Last edited:
Cool. If you don't have it, my email addy is bp@gmail.com. Just subtitute bp with buttonpuncher. ;)

Ahhhh, I was also wondering if you let off. Now I'm really interested to see what a full WOT run would look like. Go get some 110 race gas and dyno it. That way you don't have to worry as much. And the exhaust smell is :drool:

BTW, if you've never bought race gas before, take a gas can. Most stations won't let you put it directly in your tank. :cool:

BP

Last edited:
Lets just say i was pushing a straight oval port 3L this weekend while at the Dragon :crazy:

Oh and i left Icysvt in the dust :D:D

I heard you left them in the oil!:shrug: :laugh: :help:

DAMN IT WHO TOLD YOU? :D:D

about half way through the weekend it started burning oil, i suspect, through the PCV system. thats one of the reasons im in changing the gasket. since im working on it anyways i might as well fix the known leak.

Edit: even with the oil burning i still left them :D

Back