• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Valve Cover gasket ??s

Sudzy

CEG'er
When I went out to do a simple job, changing spark plugs and wire set, I found oil in one of my spark plug holes.
Is the gasket (i'm assuming original) rubber on 97's GL auto?
.(First I wiped down outside of cover where it connects to-- is it the head? To see if that's where the seeping is. That was just yesterday) Tomorrow, I'll check for oil around the seal and tighten down the cover. If that doesn't fix it, I'll buy new gasket. Now I've seen the cork and the rubber both for sell for my car.
Which should I get? Is it necessary to get the Ford part for this item?

Also, I read that you should change your PCV and tubing while doing it. Accurate?
And a new oil change and filter. Dang. Just did mine 100 miles ago. Is it absolutely necessary to do it again?

Thanks so much, Sue

Yes, I've also read here that you might as well change the timing belt. Well, that's not gonna happen! No way I would know how to do that one.

the valve cover gasket on the Zetec is rubber. if you replace it make sure the one you get is also rubber, brand doesnt much matter, though both Ford/Motorcraft and Felpro are good brands. the Felpro gasket can be had from your local parts store.

the PCV valve is probably worth replacing but isnt as simple as on other cars. the valve is mounted to the oil separator which is bolted to the side of the block behind the exhaust manifold and cat converter. it has a very short piece of rubber hose that goes between the PCV valve and a hard metal line which runs around the back of the engine to the intake manifold. sometimes that short rubber hose becomes so hard that you cant flex it enough to remove it from the line or valve to remove the valve.

if you just changed the oil about 100 miles ago then dont worry about doing again. its not necessary, its just a perfect time to do the regular maintenance (like an oil change) while you are working on the car anyways.

as for the timing belt, its not as difficult as it sounds, and if the car is approaching (or over) the 100K mile mark then it needs to be done. you dont want the belt or a pulley to break and leave you stranded. the only good thing is that IF it were to break the engine is a non-interference type, which means the pistons and valves cannot hit each other so all you would need to do is reset the timing and put a new timing belt on. if you arent comfortable doing this yourself perhaps you can find a member local to you that is. where do you live? if its close to Louisville, Ky then you can bring the car and parts to my place and I can help you install them. I have all the timing belt tools and have done several of them.

I agree with Striker2 on the timing belt. i've done it twice on mine and it's not that difficult. if your near Hillsboro, Missouri I can help with it as well.

Ok. First off can't say how much I appreciate both offers of help. You two are good people and it's appreciated. :) :) :)

Now, I can't find any seepage around the gasket yet there is a small amount of oil in the first cylinder (counting left to right). I am enclosing a photo which I believe is related.

Now this black substance is also all around the hose which is contected to the cover. I researched and this is the crankcase vent hose. And I think, Striker, this is connects to pcv valve? I read that if the PCV value isnt working corrected it could cause the gasket to leak.

Anyway, I don't drive much, a couple hundered miles a month. My son, just told me wait until spring when his OT lets up abit and he'll come down to try to take care of it for me.

Just wanted to let you know where I'm at right now. And to offer thanks for your kindness. Sue

va;ve cover 003..jpg

Back