• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Well I Dynoed it....

WorldTour

I Feel More Like I Do Now Then When I First Got He
I'm unhappy with the overall numbers, but atleast I know the car is tuned pretty safe.
Just a little FYI the specs are as follows:
Stock '01 Oval port 3L
19lbs-hr injectors w/ Vortech FMU (yeah, yeah...I know)
Stock MAF
Vortech Blower
3.25" Pulley (8psi on the 2.5L, about 4psi on the oval port)
4.06:1 final drive (non-Zetec)
NGK TR6 plugs, gapped .035"
Gutted pre-cats, no main cat.
2.25" exhaust with no resonator and two Vibrant Mufflers.

And before anyone shouts about it being on a Mustang Dyno, we had a couple stock SVT's dyno and they put down between 163-168fwhp respectively which is pretty close to what they put down on a dynojet.
Here is the the plot:
worldtoursc3l-dyno.jpg

A/F looks pretty darn good.
Overall numbers look lower than I'd expect, but the curves look nice. :)
Edit: Only brought to 6,500 RPM, and you are running 4psi...so that's not too shabby at all!

Last edited:
A/F is in the ****ter. That's actually the low to mid 11's on the A/F and this engine boosted will make much better power on 12-12.5:1

Besides, you may as well be Naturally aspirated below 4700rpms considering the boost is under 2psi and a Naturally aspirated duratec does best around 13:1.

As boost climbs above 4psi you can drop the A/F down to low 12s to keep it cool.

I would still shoot for a solid 12:1 A/F on the supercharger system up to say around 7psi assuming you don't have an intercooler yet.

Also, you have no idea what the timing curve is on that chip they are running.

You need to ditch the FMU and the 19's, get an XCAL2 and some 36#,39#,or 42# injectors, and pay me the $200 to make you a really good tune. :D Oh, and don't forget the smaller pulley to make more than the 4psi.

Also, you should gap those plugs at 0.045"
.035 is too tight especially in winter IMO for this engine.

A/F is in the ****ter. That's actually the low to mid 11's on the A/F and this engine boosted will make much better power on 12-12.5:1

Ok, I stand corrected. :)

Question: Why 2.25" exhaust? 3L + SC would easily justify 2.5" piping, IMO. You might unleash a few ponies...

Running a little to Rich.

Im suprised your tuner couldent flatten out the "bump" where the secondaries open up.

The car doesnt have any 'tuning' software. Its just a chip in it (as far as I know). also, full 3 liter... secondaries =/=

I think people are forgetting that this is marks 'baseline' before he starts cleaning this car up. bigger injectors, intercooler, etc. etc. have been in the works since he picked the car up.

Also, im not sure that Pure tuning does anything with ford software. They seem to specialize in evo's and mess with AEM ems also...

Hey just for comparison purposes, a turbo 3L on 3.8psi spring in the wastegate seems to set down about 250-255wHP though quite a bit more midrange torque of course.
The supercharger is engine driven though and sucks some power from from the engine. This to me looks pretty good with all those things considered.

<chant> smaller pulley, tune from me....<chant>

As Pudmunkie put it, this is a baseline before I start making changes. the exhaust, injectors, FMU, etc.. were all left over from when the car was a 2.5L. I also should've ponted out that when this car was tuned the ground on the secondary fuel pump was bad and wasn't working at the time and only had enough fuel to support about 5000 rpms under boost. Since then the fuel pump has been regrounded and the car is rich until redline.

As for tuning on the car it has a flashed PCM and was tuned by the same guy who did BeyondloadedSE's car and a few others here in the SE MI area.

Now that I know where the car is at and what its doing, I know where it needs improvement. Right now I'm unemployed so buying the needed equipment, software, parts to make the needed improvements is a bit impossible until i can find gainful employment. Atleast the car is running in a reasonably safe manner so I'm not afraid to drive it for fear of engine failure due to improper tuning.

and Tourige, shame on you... oval ports don't have secondaries! :blackeye: ;) Actually I think the "bump" maybe something in relation to the car being tuned without the secondary pump working, it's also at that point where the car goes noticably more rich through the remainder of the pull. Thats probably where the car would start to lean out and the tuner would have tried to add more fuel into the table at that point to compensate.
-Mark

I'm pretty sure Jerry knew what he was doing when he tuned it. 11.5 to 12.0 is standard fuel tuning on a non-intercooled set up. With an intercooler 12.0 -12.5 would be more in line with 93 octane. On the 91 octane we get, usually no higher than 12.0 without an intercooler. Any other platform like Toyota or Subaru that are boosted shoot even richer. Unless you push the tuner to go leaner and assume responsibility, that is likely the way it will go, safe. I haven't touched tuning software in well over year, so unless things have changed, that fuel looks good to me. It could be leaner before 4k like Tom said, but looks good.

I am not saying Tom to tune it solely for the A/F...Just the whole driveability issues. He tunes in areas that others do not.

I'm pretty sure Jerry knew what he was doing when he tuned it. 11.5 to 12.0 is standard fuel tuning on a non-intercooled set up. With an intercooler 12.0 -12.5 would be more in line with 93 octane. On the 91 octane we get, usually no higher than 12.0 without an intercooler. Any other platform like Toyota or Subaru that are boosted shoot even richer. Unless you push the tuner to go leaner and assume responsibility, that is likely the way it will go, safe. I haven't touched tuning software in well over year, so unless things have changed, that fuel looks good to me. It could be leaner before 4k like Tom said, but looks good.

I would bet that if the pump was still in-op it would be somewhere near 12.0-13.0 until about 5k where it would simply run out of fuel. (since this was how it was when the car was tuned by Jerry) The drivability of this car really sucks. Tip in throttle at low rpms is actually pretty scary and the car has a tendency to become violent if you pull away from a light and don't follow through (i.e. if you are behind someone and they start to pullaway and don't continue accelerating and you have to lift and then re-apply the gas.) and the car also does some odd things while at cruise as well. if you're driving the car hard it's awesome, if you are trying to doddle along in traffic or just drive at a leasurely pace the car hates you and isn't afraid to let you know it either.

Again, this is all stuff that I plan on working on and knew about it when I bought the car back so I don't want anyone thinking that I'm complaining because I'm not.
-Mark

Back