• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What causes the gap on top of the strut tower? Under the retainer.

Virtually the same size as the OD of the plate on top, 1/16" thick. I noted they also had 1/8" thick too. The inside holes just squeezed over the center pilot to work perfectly. One side I added a steel 1/16" thick equivalent of the rubber to make more thickness without more give from too much rubber. I had to slightly ground out center hole to pilot perfectly on the center again, about 5 min work with a Dremel. The steel I put down first against car steel and then rubber next. Found parts at a well equipped Ace hardware store.

Looking at the finished job, looks clean and can hardly see it but no slop like before.

Thanks. I checked out Home Depot and they had something perfect. They were tub drain seals or something like that. The rubber was pretty stiff too. Each one was 3/32" thick, which fit my gap perfectly. The inner diameter was also very close to the size of the "pilot," just slightly bigger. This was definitely a great mod and it looks much better that having that gap there. I will see if I notice anything different when driving tomorrow :)

I know this thread is a little old but I just came across this same problem, tires were wearing terribly on insides up front and just did control arms and had it aligned and put new tires on, still wearing funny. So anyways, what I did was take the nut that sits right on top of the strut mount off, and then when you tighten the top one it sits down into that hole nicely. Either way this seems like a crappy design but I don't see why this wouldn't be the best solution. Does anybody have any reason why this is not a good idea? Any input would be highly appreciated!

Back