• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What's a good windhield wiper blade?

96RedSE5Sp

Hard-core CEG'er
I have NEVER had good luck with my windshield wipers - especially wehn driving in muddy, snowy or slushy conditions. Is there one brand that is preferred to the others? Or is there a right or wrong way to install them?

Bosch Micro-edge is my preference. They last long, Bosch is a good name and I've never, ever had a problem with them aside from normal wear and tear.

EDIT: For example, I bought my truck brand new (only 5 miles on it and 1 month after being produced) and the stocks wipers failed after 4 months. Replaced them only once with Bosch and they are still doing the job almost 5 years later.

Bosch Micro-edge is my preference. They last long, Bosch is a good name and I've never, ever had a problem with them aside from normal wear and tear.
They used to be my choice. I loved them from 2001-2005, when I replaced them every 1.5 years (or so) they were always still in great condition. But my most recent Micro-Edge Excels have failed miserably and I just bought them in September. I've seen some complaints on the boards too about them in recent months too.

Your gonna hear alot about the new Valeo wipers that are pretty sick, however they dont seem to fit after looking at Tony's and Brians car..I have the PIAA Super Sporza wipers with the spoiler on them thats not for looks but for function. The spoiler enable the wiper to firmly be on the windshiel at high or low speeds. Ive had mine for almost 2 years and they have worked flawless in the worst weather conditions..

super_sporza_splr_bk.jpg

DSC02550.jpg

I used to use Bosch Micro Excel... but this last time I swiched to Bosch Icon, and I really like them!

Valeo. :cool:

I think if the passenger side was 1 inch smaller, it would fit perfect. I'm pretty sure Tire Rack listed the wrong size when I bought mine.

Valeo. :cool:

I think if the passenger side was 1 inch smaller, it would fit perfect. I'm pretty sure Tire Rack listed the wrong size when I bought mine.

same thoughts here ... the passanger side was just alittle long ... so when the wiper is at rest about and inch or so is jsut off the windshield ... on my 95 the wiper arms where longer and it hit the trim ... swapped the arm to a post 98 and it fits perfect ...

My father picked up some replacement blades for me without asking what I needed. He bought Michelin blades. I wasn't overly enthusiastic, but whatever - they were free for me. They've turned out to be GREAT wiper blades. Smooth, don't chatter or skip, they've held up quite well in the icy cold, and they aren't overly bulky or intrusive.

I can't remember the name of them, but there are some at walmart that have a lifetime warrenty. They are made of silcon instead of rubber and are great in low temps....ice doesn't build up on them. A very nice blade IMO

I used to use Bosch Micro Excel... but this last time I swiched to Bosch Icon, and I really like them!

We carry the Icon at my work and everytime i put them on i want to buy a set for myself :) Someday when i have some money I will pick them up but they are supposed to be top notch

Your gonna hear alot about the new Valeo wipers that are pretty sick, however they dont seem to fit after looking at Tony's and Brians car..I have the PIAA Super Sporza wipers with the spoiler on them thats not for looks but for function. The spoiler enable the wiper to firmly be on the windshiel at high or low speeds. Ive had mine for almost 2 years and they have worked flawless in the worst weather conditions..

FOR THE PRICE THEY BETTER!

Another vote for Michelin blades, but not the ones from Wal-Mart. Get the ones from Target. The ones from Wal-Mart are a lower level design that meets Wal-Marts price point and the frames are not as sturdy. The right wiper on mine flutters a bit, especially in the wind. The Target ones don't. The rubber is better than the Bosch blades and last longer.

Another vote for Michelin blades, but not the ones from Wal-Mart. Get the ones from Target. The ones from Wal-Mart are a lower level design that meets Wal-Marts price point and the frames are not as sturdy. The right wiper on mine flutters a bit, especially in the wind. The Target ones don't. The rubber is better than the Bosch blades and last longer.

Tripledge is the name of the wiper. Don't know if that is the same one you were talking about.

I like the blades from Canadian Tire. Reflex. They have some special substance that acts like rain-x built into the blade. No chatter, always cleans the windshield well. Combine that with the rain-x windshield washer fluid and you will never have problems. Oh and its just one piece, so no ice or snow ever build up on them.

Silicon blades are the way to go! The PIAA blades that steeda has are excellent blades! My coworker ordered a set through our work murray's auto parts. The set he ordered had the same spoiler that steeda's has but it was painted to look like real carbon fiber! I was going to order a set for my SVT. They would look fantastic on silver!!! But, I got a set of Bosch icon blades for REAL cheap (about 20 bucks for the set cheap!)! The icons are priced at 18.99 and up at my work! The PiAA blades i can get for about 20 a piece. So, i got the ICONS! Overall, they do not look as cool as the PIAA sporza blades but as far as quality goes. The icons are a top of the line wiper blade. Ive had mine for over a year already and the still wipe like new and make no noise what so ever when i turn the blades on! I have had the bosch micro edge blades with good results but, the icons blow those away! Sorry that my post is a little long but, I too hate buying somehing that blows! I like to buy products that are of quality. AND to who was talking about the TRIPLE EDGE wally world blades... I bought a set for my dad and they are very good quality silicon blades! I purchased them like 6 months ago. Unfortunalty, wally world (with always low prices) raised the price about 3.00 more a blade!!! One more real good blade is sold at my work for cheap. Its the ANCO AEROVANTAGE wipers. They are better than the microedge bosch blades!

I like my Michelin blades a lot. Had to buy two drivers side ones though, the wiper arm looked slightly bent and about 3 days after I bought the Michelin's even though it was properly secured, with the arm bent I was doing 35 and heard a loud noise like a branch hitting my windshield and bye-bye new wiper haha, bought a new one and bent the arm back right, I love the blades, work excellently and not too expensive.

Back