• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Where to mount front plate?

Digging up an old thread I know, but I was wondering something. As anyone ever gotten hassled by police due to the location of their front plate, ie not being on the bumper? I'm thinking about moving mine down to below the bumper, but don't want any hassle.

Also my plan is to use some bolt stock in combination with some fender washers to mount it to the stock mesh. That shouldn't damage the mesh at all correct? I really don't want to loose the front plate because the mesh broke.

I know that here in Montana we have to have the plate affixed to the exterior of the vehicle, but it doesn't say in the law that it has to be on the bumper. It's not legal to put it on the dash, or in the back window, because then it's not as visible, and if it's not visible to an officer who stops the car, it can be unsafe for them. How are they to know if the registered owner is a felon with violent tendencies and warrants if they can't identify the car? I'm good with anything that makes the streets safer for cops.

I got a warning a few years ago for not having one on my SF SVT and just gave up and put the OEM holder on. The bumper already had holes in it, so I wasn't really too upset about it. I just sent them a picture of it and they accepted it.

I didn't feel comfortable going without it after I'd been warned, because the Highway Patrol officer that stopped me lives just a few miles away and I know he knows my car, because he and my husband are friends.

That, and being married to a cop.... what can you do? :rolleyes:

3019118_18_full.jpg

makes me kinda wish I didnt just remount mine in the stock location.

I just had to shave the bracket a bit to fit my bumper

oh well it looks stock

Last edited:
Back