• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Wideband installation help

FastFord

Hard-core CEG'er
Figured I would put this in the tuning section as most people use these for tuning purposes.

I am installing an AEM wideband gauge in my cougar, got everything completed but the four wires that need to be spliced in. Just wanted to see what wire others have spliced into for 12V and where I should run the ground wire to?

I'm not too familiar with the AEM wideband, but my Innovate Motorsports wideband was pretty specific when it came to the grounding in the installation instructions. They state to ground the sensor at the engine block. I'd be surprised if AEM wideband didn't state something similar with it's instructions. I ran mine out to the bolt on the passenger side engine mount where there was another ground already. As for the 12V power I'd run it off the accessory power available at the fuse block. At least on my 98 tour there is a couple of open terminals that do not have fuses installed. These are switched 12V power that are live with the key in the on or start position. You can check it with a multimeter to ensure you wire up the correct one. I'd then run a fuse off of that terminal and run it back to the wideband. I'm guessing the other two wires are for the gauge + and - signal from the HEGO sensor.

Kk I found a fuse in the fuse box under the hood that was for "daytime running lights (canada only)" followed the wiring and it lead to a relay that wasnt there, perfect wire to splice into for the gauge. I then ran the ground wire to the bolt going into the chassis under the battery area where a couple other wires are grounded, gauge works great.

Now onto the firewire to datalog with the wideband. I ran the white 0-5V wire from the gauge into the hot wire coming from the X3, and of course ran the ground wire coming from the firewire into the wire that is grounding the gauge to the chassis. Problem I am having now is when datalogging on the X3 the wideband shows just 10.00, doesnt move at all. So the X3 isn't getting a signal from the gauge for some reason.

Have you entered the equation needed to convert the 0-5v signal to a proper a/f signal?

Does the reading change at all?

No the reading doesn't change at all, just a flat 10.00. Where would I enter this equation into?

No the reading doesn't change at all, just a flat 10.00. Where would I enter this equation into?

At the top of the screen in LiveLink->Commands->Analog Equations->And enter the formula into analog 1. I cant remember the formula off of the top of my head, but it should be somewhere in the instructions for the AEM.

However, the reading should be moving around even without the formula. Make sure your getting voltage out of the firewire cable that goes into the X3.

pretty sure the second ground needs to go to the Xcal as it needs to complete the circuit, at least thats how i wired it for my xcal2.

Kk theres six small wires coming out of the firewire from the X3 paired together as followed:

white and black
green and red
blue and orange

With the firewire plugged into the X3 the only wire that has power in it is the white wire, so I connected that white wire to the 0-5V wire coming from the wideband. And grounded the black wire. I haven't hooked up a laptop yet, its just reading 10.00 while datalogging on the Xcal.

Striker, what second ground are you speaking of?

Don't forget to set the correction for your voltage offset. It can make a difference in tuning if the offset is large enough.

Back