• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

BMW oil change interval?

Good food for thought. Thanks guys. I have been running MC semi synth in the womans mazda 5. I was going to change it out tomorrow since it's traveled 4k since the last one. Guys on Bob is the oil guy have stated that samples have come back (Blackstone) saying that the oil should have no issues going 5k. But then again what will the temps be outside in 1k? LOL!

So do you have a Mazda5 or a Mazda6?

I bought a Mazda5 for my wife and damn that's the best decision I made. It was so affordable, looks good, drives great, has excellent seating layout. If you don't need all six seats then it has great cargo flexibility.
I've had it 11 months now and I love it.
Of course we bought the touring with 5 spd. It feels so much more alive than the atx.

Oops. It's a 6. You don't see too many 5's around. We drove the 3's too which were a blast but she wanted a 6 cyl and a little bigger car. Couldn't get her to get the 5 speed. Of course I've alredy painted the calipers black and put some Bendix pads on it. LOL! I ended up changing the oil anyway yesterday but the next one will go to 5k. The oil still had a carmel look to it. It was dark but nearly as dark as the dino oil in my SVT.

I understood that with a good synth with the best filter and then regular changing of that filter (not the oil) that one could go many more thousands of miles past the common 3k/5k change.

My wifes 2003 W8 Passat uses 8.5 Quarts of 0W40 Synthetic (same synthetic used in all the new VW's and Audi's I assume) and a canister type filter. The filter change interval is 15k miles similar to the BMW's. Oil changes are spendy in that W8 (~$75 if you do it yourself).

My wifes 2003 W8 Passat uses 8.5 Quarts of 0W40 Synthetic (same synthetic used in all the new VW's and Audi's I assume) and a canister type filter. The filter change interval is 15k miles similar to the BMW's. Oil changes are spendy in that W8 (~$75 if you do it yourself).

If you use dino oil and change it yourself every 5K miles, that would be almost the same price as doing one oil change at that cost. So you really aren't loosing anything.

The shear volume of oil is what kills W8 owners on oil changes. When synthetic oils run $4.99+/qt and it takes nearly 3-4 more quarts than a "normal" engine (5-6quarts), that's going to hurt your wallet.

Back