• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

looking for 3L build up pics

I think what you're looking for is a step by step with pictures?

That depends on the build you want to do, and what parts you have. There are pics of the PARTS you need (custom fabricated parts) as well as a list of the parts you should get. The instructions are scattered but FAR from being hard to find, the old forums were a big resource for that, and all you need to do is research each step, you're going to first collect your parts and go from there...

There may be pics along the way but there is no "How-To 3L build, Pic 1, Pic 2, .... Pic n-1, pic n. It's all words but you'll see when doing... sorry if Im not much more help.

99.7% of what you need to know is in the factory service manuals which "of course" you have since you are doing a project like this.
The other .3% is in sticky posts. I know NECO has some great pictures of the tabs to cut and such.

i was seaching the old forum didnt find much .. can anyone help me out im lookin for a detailed one...

I learned about 3L swaps by searching the old forums and did mine before the new forum was up. The information is there. Of course, I researched it for about a year...

Because there is so much information, you might not know where to begin. I would first decide what type of intake you want to use. The one on your 2.5L or the one off the 3L? There is a good descussion about it here. There is a picture that procyon(posts excellent technical info) posted in that thread and in the old forums that I used.

They say that pictures are worth a thousand words. The only problem comes when you run out of pictures and need to read more than 1000 words. There's probably about 11eventy billion words in the old 3L forum about the various swaps. The easiest, imho, is a 3L with the 3L cams, Contour timing cover, Contour valve covers, Contour LIM(lower intake manifold), and Contour UIM(upper intake manifold).

To make this setup work, you need to port match the heads to accept the Contour LIM. You then fill in the gaps with either welded aluminum or JB Weld.

SVT owners will want to use their cams, so they have to swap over their entire timing setup. However, the larger 19lb injectors will be enough for the extra displacement of the 3L.

Non-SVT owners could get away with using the 3L cams and timing setup(no need to swap), but will have to do something about the fuel because the 17lb injectors can't compensate for the larger engine. A chip or a tuner of some sort is required. I used a Greddy Emanage along with the 24lb injectors that came with my 3L for the fuel compensation. Thank you Warmonger for the instructions. Nowadays, it seems that the Xcal2 is popular for tuning.

If you use the words in bold as keywords for a search of the old forums, you will find more than a 1000 words....and a few pictures.;)

cool thanks for takin the time to type that... yeah i know im going with the svt heads and cams UIM , LIM .. i was just tryin to find some info with pics of the different kinds of builds... thanks again

phil

cool thanks for takin the time to type that... yeah i know im going with the svt heads and cams UIM , LIM .. i was just tryin to find some info with pics of the different kinds of builds... thanks again

phil

No problem. BTW, I wouldn't use the SVT heads at all. The 3L oval port heads flow more and, normally, you will get a pair with your new engine.

Dang that looks purty! :D
Nice work and I can see during your porting you had plenty of stuffing in those holes. Hopefully people tape off everything like you did too. I recommend pulling the cams out too to insure both intake and exhaust valves remain closed during the operation.

Dang that looks purty! :D
Nice work and I can see during your porting you had plenty of stuffing in those holes. Hopefully people tape off everything like you did too. I recommend pulling the cams out too to insure both intake and exhaust valves remain closed during the operation.

Thank you, sir. I did, in fact, pull the cams, lash adjusters, etc., and re-installed the valve covers before plugging up the ports and grinding them down.

are you useing the svt cams or 3L cams ... and whats the level of difficulty to port match those..?

I'm using the 3L cams. No complaints about the the midrange. However, if you have the SVT cams, I would suggest using them. They breathe better and seem to really work well on the 3L. However, there may be a supercharger in my future.:D Taurus cams with forced induction might prove to be very fun.

Level of diffiiculty? On a difficulty scale of 1-10, 6. On an intimidation scale of 1-10, 9. Once I started doing it, it was easy. I even massaged the exhaust ports quite a bit in order to match up better to the headers.

I used the LIM gasket to trace a line to the heads. I used these lines to tell me when to stop grinding. In pic 2, you can see some of the lines from the blue Sharpie I used.

Just be sure when using Jb weld or similair, to spend time properly roughening up the surface it has to adhere to.

Just pray that the jbweld doesn't give up!
If your gonna go this route the least you can do properly is to get whatever you need welded so it won't end by your piston in the long run... ;)

Just pray that the jbweld doesn't give up!
If your gonna go this route the least you can do properly is to get whatever you need welded so it won't end by your piston in the long run... ;)
A few flaws with that thinking.

Worst case scenario is the piece comes out and rattles AT the valve. It could never pass the valve or damage the SS valve.

It could deteriorate slowly causing an intake leak but nothing else.

I didn't use "JBweld" personally. :p (not a JB fan at all)

Also after 3+ years mine look like the day I bolted the LIM on. I just checked them 2 months ago. My valves also looked spotless. Something the POS 2.5L setup could never dream of doing. Real world wins yet again. ;) No surprises here though.

ok so are you saying if I do a straight swap using all the 3L stuff I will need a chip to control the injectors if I dont have an SVT????
Yes you will need a "chip" to tune for the larger injectors. (among other things)

No the 17lb injectors (stock non-SVT) will not support a 3L engine if that was your next question.

Back