• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Official '09 Dragon Run pics thread

ChattavegasSE

Hard-core CEG'er
Since I'm the first home, I get to start the pics! :crazy: Even though we took like two before the motion of the ocean made my wife ill, so no pics after that.

Cold, windy, foggy. WTH? It's supposed to be nice?
ry%3D400

Looks like I'm pissin on the Saab. :crazy:
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We had a blast; despite the fact that I was driving the family truckster cuz the AE86 ain't done. Hell I even got to lead a tiny group through the mountain fog. :crazy:

Next year, I'll finish this:
ry%3D400

...and put it in this:
ry%3D400

...with the goal of a solid 65rwhp!! :crazy:

CSVT 1313 on the Dragon, Hellbender 28, and Cherohala

CSVT 1313 on the Dragon, Hellbender 28, and Cherohala

Hey guys,
I'm posting a few pictures taken today during my trip across the Dragon, around the Hellbender 28 loop and down the Cherohala.:cool:
Looked for the other CEG folk's but didn't see anyone.:confused:
Did see another 00 Black CSVT parked in the grass near top of the Cherohala, but no one was with the car:shrug:.
Anyway, it was a great day for the drive.
Jim

Attachments

• Dragon.JPG
    Dragon.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Hellbender28.JPG
    Hellbender28.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Cherohala.JPG
    Cherohala.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 0
When the fudge was that??! Didn't look anything like that when we were up there Friday. :(

Hahahaha I know! Friday morning sucked for pictures like this. I took this Saturday morning. A few of us got an early start on the Skyway just so we could take our time and get extra pics. Wait till you see everyone else's pics!!

Wow, looks like a great group of cars! Even better than last year. Man I wish I could have made it, would have been a lot better than a rouge shopping cart putting a 6" scratch on my C-pillar today at the grocery store. I blame that on my company for not letting me be in Tennessee.

So when we were coming back down the Dragon i heard my car start knocking. I decided that i would try to limp it back to cabins where it would be easier to get to. well, about 3 miles from the TN line i hear a boom and then parts bouncing off the ground into the under body. I managed to coast it down the hill and got extremely lucky and pulled it into a little pull off. After waiting for about 10-15 minutes, the rest of the group showed up and we pushed it off into the grass, locked it, and headed back to the cabins.

My Mom, friend, and Fiance came down with a truck and trailer on Saturday and we loaded up the car and headed home and finally made it safely back about 1am. this morning, after getting some sleep, we unloaded the car and I discovered this sitting on the trailer.

SSPX0403.jpg

yes, thats part of the big end of a connecting rod.

we then pushed the car into the garage and i put it up on jack stands. removing the y-pipe i see the following.
101_0739.jpg

after draining over 5 qts of oil from the pan, i unbolted it and pulled it down to find this
101_0741.jpg

since you cant see past the windage tray, i unbolted it and after prying it off the studs (yes it was bent and wedged onto the studs) i see more parts.
101_0742.jpg

looking up into the engine i see the following.
101_0753.jpg

you can see the main bearing cap is actually cracked all the way through:crazy:
101_0744.jpg

101_0755.jpg

101_0749.jpg

101_0750.jpg

Last edited:
after looking at the rest of the cylinders, i noticed that both cylinders 2 and 5 had bent wrist pins. (they are hard to see in these pics)
101_0751.jpg

101_0752.jpg

while cylinders 1 and 4 seem to be ok, i wont know for sure until probably December when i get a chance to pull the heads off.

so, while im upset that it blew up, im at least content that it was spectacularly catastrophic.:crazy::crazy::crazy: at this point, i dont know what im going to do with the car, other than let it sit covered at home in the driveway.

Back