• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

stock vs Eibach vs H&R

BrApple

No Life But CEG
so today I swapped out my Eibach spring for a set of H&R springs. I put all of the springs side by side and took photos so that everyone could see the difference.

some notes.

My SVT already had H&R springs with ST200 struts. My Contour had Eibachs with BAT struts. When measuring the distance from the top of the wheel well to the ground the rear with eibach springs sat as low as the H&R front springs and the other way around.

to remove and install stock springs, spring compressors have to be used. For the Eibachs, spring compressors are only needed for the front springs. And no spring compressors are needed to install the H&R springs.

I also noted that the H&R springs seems to have a larger diameter of spring material then the Eibachs. In fact the Eibachs seemed to be near stock in size. Of course the winding diameter is the same.

Front Springs
red/top - H&R
grey/middle - Eibach
black/bottom - stock SE

fetch

Rear Springs
grey/top - Eibach
black/bottom - Stock SE

fetch

grey/left - Eibach
red/right - H&R
(note: photo is actually upside down as to how the springs would be installed)

fetch

Car sitting on Bat Struts and new strut mounts. Running 225/45R17 tires.

Eibach

fetch

H&R

fetch

Last edited:
before and after pics of the car? I bet the stance looks so much better now.

Yes I'll get new pics tomorrow. Going to park the car the same way, in the same spot as a previous photo. Was after sunset when I finished up today of course. This way the only difference is the springs.

Somebody should try H&R fronts with Eibach rears.

I believe it has been done the other way around at least, which I almost did last night but instead I just got all four corners done.

seems like that combination would get the car lowest based on using these two springs.

Last edited:
I believe you are right. Mike switched because he thought the back was too high and another guy had a svt with too big of a stereo so the weight made the car look saggy in the rear. They just traded springs and both were happy.

I have H&R springs on mine. I kind of like the way it sits a little lower in the front. I definitely don't like the way the eibach's look saggy in the back.

Here is a picture of my car right after I swapped the springs. I think it has settled a little now.

sidewoods.jpg

yes the H&Rs sit lower in the front and higher in the rear then the Eibach Springs. I mainly swapped because my 225's where rubbing and the little extra height from the H&R springs should take care of that.

Damn you guys. Now I want to buy springs for my car. Excellent stuff, thanks for sharing.

~Mike~

Looks to be that the H&R springs are around 1" higher in the rear than the Eibachs. Looks perfect IMO.

I measured the ride height up front last night between the two cars. the SVT sat at 25" to the top of the fender and the Contour was 25.5" to the top of the fender.

difference now is I have 205/55R16's on the SVT where as the Contour still has the 225/45R17's. when I swap the wheels off the Contour i will check again.

I measured the ride height up front last night between the two cars. the SVT sat at 25" to the top of the fender and the Contour was 25.5" to the top of the fender.

difference now is I have 205/55R16's on the SVT where as the Contour still has the 225/45R17's. when I swap the wheels off the Contour i will check again.

since I have a tape measure out and both cars are now on 205/55R16 wheels ...

SVT
front 25"
rear 26"

SeVT
front ~25 3/4"
rear 26"

difference between the cars is BAT and ST200 struts. one is on E1's and one is on E0's

So...

They actually sit exactly the same in the rear, but the H&R's are lower in the front?

Meaning that the fact that the rears in most of the H&R pics are not actually higher, just an optical illusion since the front is now lower...

Correct? Or am I not following. Which is a possibility, I had a rough night last night... :nonono:

no, the H&Rs sit higher in the rear then the Eibachs. There was a noticable difference from where the fender sat in relation to the wheel. Like I said I had rubbing before and now I don't. I also measured and there is a height difference. same with the front.

Back