• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

my heart and soul

i know for sure a v8 can be done to this car i have completly priced it out from beginning to end .looking at all fabrication involved and if you have the cash i know a company right here local that will do it for u cost 10 thousand
just isnt worth it

Well all the nay sayers and people giving me crap can say I told you so. I stripped out the back seat and dropped the engine out of the truck and started to compile a list of mods, in the process I found that the rear wheel placement is closer than I'd originally thought. The span on the lower side of the engine is to long front to back and would make it to were I'd have to cut the car in half on the center pillar and extend it by about a foot or move the front seats, dash, windshield and firewall up 16 inches in order to give the engine enough room to have a midrear transaxle setup. To top it off I've recieved 4 quotes on a custom transaxle and the cheapest one was 13k, all said they would have to build it from scratch in place and would need the car on hand to do it. the individual that said he would do the roll cage is not willing to cut the car in half and extend it in the middle. Moving the dash and the rest is something that I don't even think would be possible, making that route out of the question. I went and got a quote from a fabrication shop that makes limo's and they said to do a project like that (ie middle extension) would be around 12k, that already puts me at around 25k. my original budget was 35 to 40k and with this set back and the amount i'd have to invest into the engine, computer, suspension and other misc. stuff, it will be probably twice the original estimate that I thought. I'd actually considered going through with the extra costs and pushing on but was promptly shut down by my better half. I am still wanting to do something different and am now thinking smaller, possibly a 4.6L engine would fit but I'm going to have to get dimensions on it before I will go any further. I now have a lot more knowledge of the project and may try something in the future. This was not a hoax and my apologies for getting hopes up and for future reference I'll do the project and then post on my success w/ pics and performance data after it is done, that way it won't be an "I'm gonna project" or anything like that. Well this sucks because I hate admitting defeat :blackeye: and letting people down. Sorry for any inconvenience and have a good one.:cry:

told you so

:laugh: j/k bro...it was a good pipe dream while it lasted ;)
If you can pull off a 4.6 Tour I'm sure you will turn ALOT of heads.

I love different ideas like this. The only thing is they're usually much more complex than people think. It was talked about a few years ago about putting a V10 in a Thunderbird. As big as the engine bay is, it was determined that it wouldn't logically fit with all of the other things required (cooling, etc). Not to mention you'd have to deal with a good drivetrain that would handle the torque of a V10, and tuning is an issue all on it's own. A 4.6 in a Contour would more realistic. It's a good bit smaller, though, even for a 4.6 SOHC, it's still quite a bulky beast for a V8 (lest we even think about DOHC). Other thing's you'd have to think about is suspension (I know the 4.6 iron shortblock weighs in at around 285 lbs, plus probably another 100 or so for the rest of the engine.

But don't be so quick to give up on a V8. Ever think about a different one? Maybe one out of a Lincoln LS? It's still FWD and makes decent power. Maybe? Anyone try this before?

A bunch of college students with a little help from Ford. :nonono: I'll check back in 10 years and see where you are at with either a V8 or V10 swap. :crazy: But you will prob have another lame swap idea before you even have the chance to start this one. Hell Why not ditch the whole conventional engine swap and install a jet, a guy out here in CA did it in his VW and still drives it on the street.

http://www.ronpatrickstuff.com/

This was done by school kids...

DSC_0485E.jpg

I agree that anything is possible, when you have the money. If YOU have the money, time, patience, and know how, go ahead and try the 4.6l v8. Like someone said earlier in this thread. If they can do it in a focus why not a Contour. Can anyone say CSVT Cobra :cool:

Moral of the story is doing your swap or any other mod first before you tell anyone from CEG about it. The only way people will not naysay you is if they can see it.

I may get reemed out for a repost, but...whatever.

Haha, seeing as how this car was in the james bond movie last year, its definetely been posted a billion times.

Generally, stuff gets posted the day the information is released around here. ;)

Last edited:
Back