• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

my heart and soul

I will start by saying this, I got a call from my grandpa, it turns out he got a good deal for his truck and has sold it (that sucks!!) so I'm looking for a power stroke diesel for my truck as of right now. This little venture is not a joke and I want to go ahead with it. I will have a lot of stuff I'm gonna have to figure out. like some have said "it won't fit" but I'm willing to try and see. If an automotive school of students can make a midrear ford 500 with a ford gt powerplant, I should be able to do a mid rear setup. It's going to be a slow and unforgiving task to get this done and I know it's going to cost a very good bit, so if you think this is a joke, laugh, it makes no difference to me but I am relentless and I will find a way. Over my birthday weekend I took some measurements and know now it will most likely have to be midrear. I don't know much about the rear structure yet but I'm investigating and figuring out a way to place it there. My first calculations are rough and until I get a power stroke to go into the truck I'll have to wait to pull the v10. but I can look at placement in the tour, hardware options, types of computers and programs until I come across a good powerstroke. I will keep the progress posted as much as I can and get pictures once the transplant has started.

ok, I'll change it.. good luck with it.. but if you have a lot of money do it and give me some of it.. :laugh:

More than it's worth?:idea:

I already know what I think it would cost to do a project like this. I just wnat to know what he thinks it will cost. And of course, something like this is definetely worth more than the car is worth, but if your wanting to convert a car to rwd and shove another engine in there, its probably best to use a cheap car.

How's that any different than the common mods we already do to our cars? :shrug:
I meant that for the time and effort and cost involved I wouldn't waste my time. All the mods I've done to my cars haven't taken that long to do or costed as much as trying to swap in a motor not similar to one that would have come with the car. Just seems like a rather far-fetched and unrealistic idea to me :shrug:

jamesmason, how much do you think this project will cost you?

I have a guy that does welding and fabrication that's willing to help me with this project that wants to remain nameless because of the fact that it is very difficult and may fail, but if it works he can put this on his résumé. This project, because he can make no guarantee, he would help for free minus parts and materials for roll cage, engine cage, firewall and engine bay to trunk conversion. that will save me a lot of time and money thus far. a have yet to approach the engine machinist that I want to do the engine work, so I don't know what the cost would be there but I have a rough estimate. I am highly efficient with wiring and electrical systems but do not have extensive knowledge with computers for motor vehicles and flash programming. so the computer I'd have to out source on but the rest of the wiring layout I could tackle with a bit of time.

all in all, with the resources avaliable to me and the help people have committed already I am hoping for 35k to 40k but only time will tell. most think I'm crazy but ever since I was a little kid watching my dad work on cars I've wanted to do something crazy and one of a kind and now that I have the money, support and a really good base knowledge of most of what would be needed for something like this I am going for it. I will have to be patient and expect things will go wrong but use my knowledge to overcome. yes, I know it doesn't make sense but I have to try. I'm going to stop posting on this until I have a concrete strategy and am making notable progress. If I fail and this project doesn't work I'll let you guys know and my tour will go to the boneyard. feel free to keep posting your thoughts on this project and any good ideas would be accepted (besides not going through with it.)

Well, it sounds like you've got it figured out. I wouldn't spend that much money doing something like that, but if that's what you want, I can admire that. Good luck!:cool:

because I have the V10 already and I've been wanting to put the powerstroke in the truck anyways (better on mileage and more torque/hp for towing my trailer.) So in a sense this project will serve a dually purpose.

Fixed.

'Bout time somebody tackles this project. I'd love to see a RWD Contique with any V-8 in it, much less a V-10.

"If a team of people from a school dedicated to fabrication and customization with corporate sponsorships can do something, surely I can too!"
werd.gif

Don't get us wrong man. We really want to see something like this happen. But by and large, we're practical people here. It's been talked about over and over and over and over, ad nauseum. If you want to truly silence the doubters and the hecklers, then this post needs less "I'm gonna do..." and more pics of **** cut up and welded together!

Good luck! We'll be watching closely.

Back