• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Out with the rock-pitted hood on Son's car

So what happens when he see's something on TV he likes and wants one, like an F1 car... You gonna run out and buy one of those too?

Whatever you do make sure your kid doesn't turn into a spoiled brat. I went to Boston University undergrad and had many stinkin rich friends, and most of them didn't understand the true value of a hard earned dollar. Make sure your kid learns that he is lucky to have money, and must manage it well.

The richest guy I knew never advertised it to anyone in the way he dressed, the car he had, or anything like that. He drove a mid 90's 3series bmw, wore nice but not super expensive clothes, and was the coolest dude I know. The only visible sign of tremendous wealth was that his dad bought him an apartment in Boston for close to a million dollars. If it were up to my friend he would have rather stayed in a regular apartment or on campus.

That is enough of my rant if the guy has the money, and wants to buy an F1 car than let it be. Everybody has their own priorities, and I could care less how you spend your money as long as you are responsible.

Whatever you do make sure your kid doesn't turn into a spoiled brat. I went to Boston University undergrad and had many stinkin rich friends, and most of them didn't understand the true value of a hard earned dollar. Make sure your kid learns that he is lucky to have money, and must manage it well.

The richest guy I knew never advertised it to anyone in the way he dressed, the car he had, or anything like that. He drove a mid 90's 3series bmw, wore nice but not super expensive clothes, and was the coolest dude I know. The only visible sign of tremendous wealth was that his dad bought him an apartment in Boston for close to a million dollars. If it were up to my friend he would have rather stayed in a regular apartment or on campus.

That is enough of my rant if the guy has the money, and wants to buy an F1 car than let it be. Everybody has their own priorities, and I could care less how you spend your money as long as you are responsible.

Yeah, I know it's a fine line between spoiling a child, and inspiring them to dream big & take risks. I hope we do fall on the right side of that divide, but we're pretty careful in evaluating daily what we teach him.

You could incorporate reality checks! My friend's dad will buy his kids whatever car they want when they get their DL. The only stipulation is that you must keep your grades above one A and all B's. Dip below once and you lose your car for six months, and mom drives you to school. Don't pull them up during this no car period, and you lose the car for good. My friends younger brother has his 350Z parked in the garage for a few months right now.

I am gonna do this with my kids, expect they only get whatever car they want that I can afford. My kid must also attend a driving school if he chooses anything with over 200hp.

If my kid is a total brat I will make him spend a summer in the ghetto that I grew up in. Give him a good taste of where he could be if his Dad had not busted his Ass to be successful.

Back