• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Weekend Playtime

ZeroHour

Mod/Salad Tosser
So what is everyone else up too this weekend?

Me, I'm doing shocks and springs on the rear of the Cavy. Then getting the other pair of rims on to the baby beast!

The Contour still waits on overnight parts from Texas....:nonono: Its going on 20 days....

On a brighter note, a certain Ceger may get me someting sweet for the Contour by Christmas. :cool: Secret secret on all the parts on the way, cause I know some of you by now are wondering if I'm neglecting the Contour over the Cavalier. :laugh: No worries, I still no which one can actually get up to 65mph sooner then a mile.

I'll get some pictures up either during progress, or when its all said and done. The Cavialier is going to take on a whole new stance. :cool:

Also my brother's Jeep is in the garage for 4 new shocks, and replacing a tire he punctured. :blackeye: That will probably consume more time then the Cavy...

But hopefully everyone else will have just as much fun this weekend with the snow coming tomorrow!

hmmm,finishing up the optimized svt tb and the 3L tb i started. optimizing a larger bore svt lim....hmm,touching up a couple small chips on the new hood for the svt....who knows,maybe even installing it:cool:

i'll be studying for exams, yay! might be putting my Ford racing spark plug wires in sometime, and will be enjoying the snow storm. and i'll problably be in bed Sunday by 4:30pm, so i can be at work by 12:30AM Monday. Hurray for UPS!

Fun fun.

So the update:

My brother = Slow, The whole reason his Jeep was pulling to the right wasn't because the shocks are blown on the passenager side. His mudder tire has a punction in it....He runs them at like 12-15PSI on the road normally. The thing was holding like 8-9 PSI with a hole in it.:laugh: So we took the shocks back.

Besides that the cold is kicking my butt and i'm moving like a 3 toed sloth with ADD. :nonono:

Right now I'm working up, but I swapped the front tires, and have figured out how to do the rear suspension without a guild at all. The only thing that worries me is that he system requires no jack stands and a connected network of jacks. :blackeye: Apparently The Gen 1 Cavalier was not made to have the end jacked up. There are NO jack points. Just a subframe that is ~15 inches off the ground with a blown suspension. I'm just glad we had the jack for the jeep, cause my car jack does not reach the subframe!

I'm doing nothing. I wanted to start ripping into the black SVT but with the sleet/freezing rain coming there is no way the silver one is going to sit outside.

The headers should be back from Jet-Hot by mid week so I'd like to have the car ripped apart by then for a UIM/LIM cleaning and new plugs/wires. Since the UIM/LIM will be off it should make it easier to do the header install. We're actually thinking of changing the alternator while exhaust manifolds are off, there's plenty of room with them off to do the change. It will make life much easier if we "just do it".

So Scott, what CEGer is hooking you up? PM me, I won't tell. :D
You still don't have the overnight parts? :dizzy:

Last edited:
been working on getting my new guages working. I installed new oil pressure and temp sender on my remote oil filter and ran the wires along with the vacuum hose for the vac/boost guage into the cabin and connected what I could. I need to rewire all of the guages so I cam not just pulling power off a fuse tap at the fuse box but hard wire then to the ignition with a inline fuse.

Not sure what I can do tomorrow because of the rain/snow that is coming over night and tomorrow.

christine...were'd you get the black car? its not bp's is it?:confused:

No, BrApple bought BP's car. If BP had hung onto it for a bit longer it would have been mine. :) Either that or BP would still have it. ;)

I got it in Dillsburg, PA, near Harrisburg. It didn't belong to a CEGer. It looks good in pictures but it's got paint issues. Doesn't really matter to us as it's a DD.

Last edited:
Well here are the results for the Cavalier.

Beginning:
Rear Fender Well Height: ~25"
Tire: 185/80 R13 Hanook
Shocks: Gabrial Red Gas Flyer (?from who knows where?)
---Pass. Side Complete Gone, no recoil
---Driver Side Dead, 30 minutes to recoil, after messing with it
Shock Mounts: Replaced previously, in good condition (woo!)
Springs: Seemed Original, Shot to the ends of Earth

End:
Purchased One "SUV" car Jack
Purchased pair of "3 ton" jack stands (Old ones were just complely shot, probably 10-20 years old)
Rear Fender Well Height: ~26 1/2"
Tire 195/70 R14 BF Goodrich Traction T/A
Shocks: Gasmatic from Advanced Auto
Shock Mounts: Reused
Springs: TRW Cavalier Convertible.

The car has not been test driven! But It has had some bouncing done inside the garage, and the response is 10 times better! You know considering it has one now. :laugh: I still kinda wish I would have spent 70 bucks and got some higher end shocks, but hey, functioning is better then non-existant!

Also tonight I dropped the spring compressers back off at Advanced and picked up a Temp guage for Cavalier. Mainly because they are ~half price and the Cavalier came with a Speedometer and gas gauge. :blackeye:

You've been quite busy Scott. :)
Good work!

Allen do you have pictures of the entire car? Volvo or rat rod! I would love to see how it looks on the whole car! :laugh:

Definately looks like the guy did some nice work! Congrats. :cool:

Ugh, too many donuts on the way home after a day of partying... now I feel sick :crazy: lol.

The tour gets the subframe removed sometime today, unless something for work comes up again... I've got an extra set of hands to help me so maybe I'll even be able to get more swapped and get this thing on the road.

Allen do you have pictures of the entire car? Volvo or rat rod! I would love to see how it looks on the whole car! :laugh:

Definately looks like the guy did some nice work! Congrats. :cool:

Once I get the whole car painted black , I'll pull it out & shoot pics . Here's what it looked like before I started tearing in (sure I'll ho it again ;) ) :

P5130436.jpg

P5130437.jpg

Allen your rims are sick. :cool:

:laugh:

Anyway...So I have a temperature gauge to install in the Cavalier now...funny thing is, there really isn't a good place to put a guage, unless I bolt thing right into the dash board. :nonono: I will probably get a home down near my foglight switch. Not the best place, but not sticking up in the middle of no where. I kinda wanted to put it up in the roof, but the line is not long enough to do so! :laugh:

Either way I'll be make some tracks through the snow later. Time to try out the suspension and new tires. No play time, cause I'm pretty sure the suspension in the rear of the cavy is garaunteed to specs of "60% of the time, it works everytime"

EDIT:
Update: The tires I got for the Cavalier are completely crap. They got stuck in the snow after 4 seconds and yes I mean FOUR :censored: seconds! I am really pissed. Needless to say I am no longer buying anything from that tire shop, ever again, period. I should have just made the guy order the Traction T/A's in my size, but no he talked me into buy the tires they have and regularly carry that were suppose to be "really good in snow". My ass they are just as good as the half bald hanooks I took off...Not to mention they scratched the inside of my wheel when they put them on...

The snow tires I also have for the Contour are terriblely balanced, which they also did. Thank god I made them order those tires...(hanook w409 ipike)

This was also the place where I got the Kelly tires that had the corners go bald in 4k miles :rolleyes: that one was partially my driving but those sucked too.

So end result: Synder Tires, Lehighton PA are BLACKLISTED UNTIL THE EARTH SPOTS SPINNING!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Last edited:
Back