• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

pre98 dash in a post98

The Mystiques actually have 3 different dashes used.

95-97
98-98.5
99-00

The 98-98.5 is the same as the 95-97 along the top, but the area around the HVAC and stereo is different. It doesn't have the lower DIN slot built into the dash anymore to allow the use of the 98-00 center console. 99-00 then switched to the crappy warping Contour dash.

98-98.5 Mystique dash:
33.jpg

Dose the 95-97 “dash lines” match up with the lines on the post 98 (SVT) doors? :shrug:
I really like the look of the HVAC Panel.
The whole center dash area looks more homogenous.
The lines of the center stack and the console line up much nicer. :cool: :cool:

Plus the two single din areas in the upper dash looks like it would be pretty easy to convert to a double din.:laugh:

Another thought regarding pre98 dash usage. The trim on the steering column is wider on the 98+ so one needs to use the pre98 column trim. What I don't know is, if the lock cylinder is in the same place, so you may need to also replace the column which is no big deal since it will be out anyway.

AF

to use a mystique dash in a contour you would need to use a 98 and above unless you wanted to swap out center consoles as well. and to put the cougar dash in you would need to use a pre 98 mystique or cougar center console also.

For some reason...I have been thinking about putting a cougar dash in my car these past few days. I have read up on both the old forum and neco and I haven't figured out exactly why the center console doesn't fit. I have only heard that it doesn't... It just won't fit with the contour dash right? If you were to put a cougar center with a cougar dash, then everything should be good to go...besides the door fitment of course. I think that would be so sweet to have the cougar dash in there... Granted, getting the dash in there is only one of the hard parts. Then you have to figure out how to get the cougar speedo cluster working in our cars...if that is even possible.

Regardless...so many people have TALKED about it, but no one has fully commited to it yet...and it would be cool to be the first. I wish that there were a 99+ cougar at the junkyard near me...

Last edited:
maybe not but there's two by me

maybe not but there's two by me

If you need the parts I might be able to help you out in that aspect. unless it gets mutilated before then. :cry:

No. It is located on to left side of the steering column under the headlight switch. It is part of the knee panel under the steering column. It will not fit with the Contour dash as I have tried it.

AF

Ok i have to throw my two cents in... I was just at the junk yard and looking at these dashes. If you were to use a Mistake dash in a Ct u would have to use the controls out of it. The headlight switch (i think) but i know for sure the HVAC controls cant be swapped because they mount differently to the backs of the two cars as well as the dimmer light. I came across this info cause i found a Merc in the yard and i was likin the wood grain so i took it out and went to a cont that was there too and looked to see what would fit and what wouldnt. So i know the panels cant be changed ud have to use 100% one or the other. Some switches would work and i believe most all did have the same style plug to hook up its just how they mounted that was diff so no biggie just get the switches when you pull it out.. And ya that lower drivers storage was hot just wont fit in the CSVT cause ours dont go as high up....
anyways good luck..

A Cougar center console will fit in the Contour I think...the parts are NEARLY the same, just BARELY different (from the pieces I have seen/heard about). I think if you took everything from below the HVAC it will work, but don't quote me on it...

If you were to use a Mistake dash in a Ct u would have to use the controls out of it. The headlight switch (i think) but i know for sure the HVAC controls cant be swapped because they mount differently to the backs of the two cars as well as the dimmer light. I came across this info cause i found a Merc in the yard and i was likin the wood grain so i took it out and went to a cont that was there too and looked to see what would fit and what wouldnt. So i know the panels cant be changed ud have to use 100% one or the other. would work and i believe most all did have the same style plug to hSome switches ook up its just how they mounted that was diff so no biggie just get the switches when you pull it out.. And ya that lower drivers storage was hot just wont fit in the CSVT cause ours dont go as high up....
anyways good luck..

You are right however, if you want wood grain, for the Tour use the 99-00 Sitque stuff it is a match to our 98-00 and maybe earlier dash.

Other than that the 95-98 Stique dashes and consoles all fit Tours but the early headlight, and HVAC switches are different. All the connectors except the clock are the same. Not sure that a mix of dashes and consoles can work well. There may be fitment issues with other than the 99-00 Stique and the 98-00 tours. Use your instrument cluster and that's about it. One thing on the early dashes 95-97 Tours had a fog light indicator light on left hand end of the dash next to T/C switch. The Stiques had it in the headlight switch. Kinda neat If you had one of those switches you could wire it up to work along with the one in the instrument cluster. Personally I like the door panels too with the under door lights.

UD Light 1.jpg UD Light 2.jpg

A Cougar center console will fit in the Contour I think...the parts are NEARLY the same, just BARELY different (from the pieces I have seen/heard about). I think if you took everything from below the HVAC it will work, but don't quote me on it...

I just quoted you........:p and no, it won't fit. Look at the pictures of the Cougar console and dash side by side with the Contour console and dash. It will not mate up with the dash. Just like the Mystique console won't fit a Contour, it's the exact same fitment problem at the front of the console. Theres no lower DIN slot on the Mystique or Cougar console because theirs is integrated into the dash.

Not yelling you Ian, but people really need to stop saying the Cougar console will fit or asking if it will fit. It's mentioned every few weeks. Search and you'll see alllll my posts saying it won't fit.

Personally I like the door panels too with the under door lights.

I like the look of the Contour panel better. It just seems to flow better with the interior, but I do like having the light more. I wish the Contour panel could have a door light neatly integrated and look factory.

I just quoted you........:p and no, it won't fit. Look at the pictures of the Cougar console and dash side by side with the Contour console and dash. It will not mate up with the dash. Just like the Mystique console won't fit a Contour, it's the exact same fitment problem at the front of the console. Theres no lower DIN slot on the Mystique or Cougar console because theirs is integrated into the dash.

Not yelling you Ian, but people really need to stop saying the Cougar console will fit or asking if it will fit. It's mentioned every few weeks. Search and you'll see alllll my posts saying it won't fit.

Doesn't the Cougar center console fit under the dash BECAUSE it has no lower din? I thought that there was a gap where the lower din is on the Contour? I guess I'm wrong but I recall Greg saying that, but I probably misunderstood him because I suck :D

Doesn't the Cougar center console fit under the dash BECAUSE it has no lower din? I thought that there was a gap where the lower din is on the Contour? I guess I'm wrong but I recall Greg saying that, but I probably misunderstood him because I suck :D

The Cougar console will fit under, but you'll leave a giant gap between the dash and the console. The Contour dash has no lower DIN, and the Cougar console has no DIN slot, so you are left with a big space between the two.

So yeah, I guess it "fits", but will just look like crap.

I like the look of the Contour panel better. It just seems to flow better with the interior, but I do like having the light more. I wish the Contour panel could have a door light neatly integrated and look factory.
With an innovative mind and a razor knife the possibilities are endless.... lol

Provided I am feeling better (have a bad cold right now)... I found a junkyard with a cougar and quite a few contours.

So off I will go with a cooler full of water, a towel or 2, and my tools.
I plan to pull the dash from a 2000 Contour (sorry everybody else.. that is the year I have) as well as the console.
Then I will pull the dash and console from the cougar.
I will test fit the cougar dash into the contour and see how it fits.
I will probably stop short of actually mounting the cougar dash into the contour completely (not install bolts, etc)..

I will take pics if I end up doing this and will post them.
Hell... nothing to lose but sweat and time (oh yeah.. and the $1 to get into the yard)...

Back