• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Nautilus Performance CAI

Well I have both a dremel and a sawsall but I have to be honest Im not all that comfortable cutting under there hopefully the direction will help but I can't wait to get this thing just got the exhaust done yesterday and that made a huge difference and then adding this I think she will sound and drive even better. Thanks for the tips man I really appreciate it.

Well the cutting wasnt that bad, just getting to the place to cut is most of the work. I also took some vacuum line and split it and pinched it around the cut edges to keep from having metal to metal contact with the intake tube.
What exhaust did you use? That may be in my future also. I know from what Ive read in here I wouldnt tackle replacing the headers. One guy said it took him 18 hrs to do the header swap......:shocked:

Yea just from everything that I've read on here and what people have told me you don't really want to mess with exhaust and headers sounds really difficult. I had the y-pipe replaced with a custom built free flowing one and a glasspack put in. It was all that much but you can sure hear and feel the difference the throttle is a lot more responsive. It was some what cheap 225 for the work and 30 for the glasspack. I would recommend the combo. I might have to try the vaccum line idea or something to protect the pipe when I get my CAI. So you do have to cut through some metal, I hope I dont f:censored::censored:k things up.

Yes, there is no way that 3" tube will fit through the factory hole in the inner fender. There are detailed pics in Joey's PDF instructions.
I'm guessing you put the glasspack where the stock resonator was?
I would think just putting a straight pipe in place of the resonator would be even better. There are 2 mufflers already.

Yes, there is no way that 3" tube will fit through the factory hole in the inner fender. There are detailed pics in Joey's PDF instructions.
I'm guessing you put the glasspack where the stock resonator was?
I would think just putting a straight pipe in place of the resonator would be even better. There are 2 mufflers already.
I'm still slacking to do the CAI install but a vacuum hose or some weatherstripping with some silicone is my vote for finishing after cutting a fender.
As far as exhaust goes, a straight pipe is a no-no in my book unless you like RASP. I just installed a custom exhaust from the headers back (see the exhaust section) with SHO shop Y-pipe with a straight through street muffler replacing the resonator and dual Magnaflow resonators/race mufflers in place of the factory mufflers. It picked up very noticeable power AND some extra mpg (about 30 miles/tank).
Not sure who told you exhaust isn't worth the effort, but I'll disagree.
Headers sound like a pain, but if my motor/trans ever needs work, MSDS will be getting a call.
Good luck, I'll post some pics of the install and finished product when I get around to it later this summer (new Mustang drivetrain and pregnant wife have been occupying lots of time :laugh:)
-J

Well, I agree that if the engine has to be pulled, that would be the perfect time to install headers. But just to swap them out in the car to pick up a couple of HP....18 hrs and no skin left on my hands does not sound like my kind of fun, especially with my easy frustration level!
Now I'm sure there is a few HP to be had from the cats back with the y pipe, reso, small diameter tubing , and Ford mufflers.
I'll save the headers for if my engine ever gets pulled, unless a local (GA) "ceg'er" is comfortable with doing the swap and "helping".

I don't have Nautilus's "destructions" but I will add this info. Make sure when you orientate the MAF you have the horn of the AF sensor in the top (fastest) part of the intake piping. This will give you the most consistent MAF readings and the smoothest curve when tuning. If you can make at least a 6" straight flow to the MAF horn (i.e. filament reading) then you with get ideally consistent tuning results.
The intake tract before the TB is indeed important for tuning. Getting a consistent reading from the MAF is imperative to proper and consistent tuning.

I emailed him just waiting for a response and demon I have no idea what the hell you are talking about I don't really no s:censored::censored:t about cars but I can follow instructions and do basic stuff like I just installed my new rear sway bar but as for stuff like your talking about that might as well been in spanish. Hopefully I dont screw anything up to bad but I guess just live and learn and now wait for the instuctions thanks for the help boys

got the instructions... here goes nothing, hopefully I'll still have working car after this over.

Well being that all you are doing is cutting some metal and attaching some tubing, I doubt you'll have to worry about your car still working:crazy::laugh:

Well being that all you are doing is cutting some metal and attaching some tubing, I doubt you'll have to worry about your car still working:crazy::laugh:

Does anyone have a pic of how much metal you are actually cutting off here? It's nothing structural is it? I'd just like to see what is involved before I make a decision on buying one of these.

Does anyone have a pic of how much metal you are actually cutting off here? It's nothing structural is it? I'd just like to see what is involved before I make a decision on buying one of these.

I don't have a picture but all you are doing is enlarging the opening into the fender where the stock intake was.

Back