• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Short Throw Shifter

All options retain the reverse lockout, even cutting the stocker, if you just section it as I did.
The CFM shifter does not retain the reverse lockout. honestly though you dont need it, there is a lockout built into the trans that prevents you from going 5th-reverse by forcing you to go to neutral first. its also almost physically impossible to force it into reverse while move forward at more than just 1-2MPH, you'll break the shift cables before you get it into reverse.

Oh, I stand corrected then. I thought I had seen the lockout in your list of things that kit included. I should have gone back and checked.

But you are right about the internal lockout. The trans must pass through neutral before going into reverse, which means no 5-R direct shift. I just wanted to retain the stock look and function, as well as do something custom that I hadn't ever heard of someone else doing. I made a thread about it quite a while back.

Oh, I stand corrected then. I thought I had seen the lockout in your list of things that kit included. I should have gone back and checked.

But you are right about the internal lockout. The trans must pass through neutral before going into reverse, which means no 5-R direct shift. I just wanted to retain the stock look and function, as well as do something custom that I hadn't ever heard of someone else doing. I made a thread about it quite a while back.
i dont think too many people would realize this isnt stock.
SSPX0238.jpg

thats at full height. the obvious difference from stock is where the shift boot is on the "lockout"

Having a cut-down one myself, I recognize that that is shortened. It looks just a bit taller than mine judging by its relation to the radio. The tight-stretched boot makes it appear taller than it is though, definitely. So is that "lockout" just a dummy piece to fill the knob and give the boot something to attach to?

Having a cut-down one myself, I recognize that that is shortened. It looks just a bit taller than mine judging by its relation to the radio. The tight-stretched boot makes it appear taller than it is though, definitely. So is that "lockout" just a dummy piece to fill the knob and give the boot something to attach to?
pretty much. i just cut up a stock pre98 lockout that i had laying around. the pre98 works well as its a snug fit so it doesnt just fall down. its also short enough that it doesnt interfere with the larger part of the shaft when the shifter is at its lowest height.

edit: that is the CFM shifter at full height. i have it all the way down now but i dont have any pics of it, perhaps i will remember to get one tomorrow.

what i need is a short throw... not a short stick. In the mondeo the dash is different and a smack my hand on the radio when using first. I want something that reduces the backward and forward travel of the stick. Would like to retain the reverse lockout.... i just feel more comfortable with it. ...G.

Back