• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New console gauge pod...

281Thunder

Veteran CEG'er
In the midst of my swap I decided my center console was a bit too plain, so I figured it was time for a change. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out...

Before...

IMG_0412.jpg

After...

IMG_0497.jpg

I've got Autometer Phantom's to go in it.

looks nice, i been changing around my console too. added the taurus cup holders and moved down the radio like some have before but after a week with that, im gonna put the cubby dealie where the ash tray is and relocate the cig lighter... not sure how that will pan out though. :shrug:

I'm not sure why it looks so rough. It's just a thick piece of plastic from an old power drill case. It was the thickest piece of plastic I could find. I think I'm gonna sand it down some and hit it with a few more coats.

yeah i would sand that down real nice and smooth... its gonna be in your view everytime you drive so as long as it looks good in your eye , thats all that matters right?

you know...... more a matte black finish would look better, IMO. matches the other trim more correctly, and doesn't show every tiny imperfection like a gloss does. just food for thought :) i like the use of the space either way :)

All finished and installed. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. And yes, I know, I need to vacuum and clean my interior...but not til after the swap is done and finished...

finalpod1.jpg

finalpod2.jpg

Your console is not put together correctly. Those pieces on the bottom of the console near your feet are supposed to be tucked under the main part of the console, not sitting on the outside.

I think those are actually the wrong foot well pieces for the pre98 counsel. Probably the SVT ones still installed because he never had the pre98 ones........ :shrug: But he is right, they need to be tucked behind the counsel. Gauges look alright.

I think those are actually the wrong foot well pieces for the pre98 counsel. Probably the SVT ones still installed because he never had the pre98 ones........ :shrug: But he is right, they need to be tucked behind the counsel. Gauges look alright.

no they are the correct parts, just installed wrong.

Anyone have a pic of how they're supposed to look? I never knew any different. That's the way they were when I bought the car...

What about the screw caps on the console itself, I dont recall them being stock. Are they? I never remember popping them off when I got mine.

What about the screw caps on the console itself, I dont recall them being stock. Are they? I never remember popping them off when I got mine.

Screw caps are stock, although I never seem to see anyone installing them when they swap consoles. You must use the original screws from the Pre-98 console, otherwise the caps won't work. The original screws are flat on top, while the 98+ screws have a round head.

I made sure I placed every screw in its original spot when I installed my console. I also painted the screw caps MNB as they were originally grey like my console.

Yeah, I have them on the extension pieces color match everything because they were originally Atlantis Blue. I just didnt recall them on the console itself. Now I have to see if I have some extras laying around.

All pre98 hardware here too BTW.

Thanks.

Yep, the caps are stock on the pre98 center counsels and on the edge of the door panels. Just another example of SVT/post98 contours getting the shaft on all the cool stuff ;).

Now I'm gonna have to scavenge junkyards to try to find some of these caps and screws...I had no idea my console was so...off? Lol...

Back