• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3.4L Yamaha V8. Is it Possible in Svt.

silverky98

CEG'er
I have a yamaha v8 laying in my garage. It came outa a 99 taurus sho. To my novice eye it looks like its possible to put in my 98svt. I know it prob wouldnt be easy. What do you guys think? I just think it be cool to put a little v8 in.

I have a yamaha v8 laying in my garage. It came outa a 99 taurus sho. To my novice eye it looks like its possible to put in my 98svt. I know it prob wouldnt be easy. What do you guys think? I just think it be cool to put a little v8 in.

I think you cant afford it. Just being honest.

I really wana tackle the project. I got the free help for it(no experts though). But has anyone ever tried to? All I hear is 3L and 3L w/turbos and that is originally what I was going to go with.

its a completely different block, it uses a completely different transmission, and it is to wide to fit. Sell the motor and use the money you get from it to buy a 3l and a turbo kit.

It will never, I repeat NEVER work in your car without serious modification to your chassis, then you still need to find a tranny that fits and bolts up to that motor.

Those motors sucked in the SHO taurus, why would you want one in a contour. Weld the cams and sell it to an SHO enthusiast.

I just thought the little yamaha v8 was a good engine, but I can see it gets no love here. I never have ran one to know. I got 2 buyers for it, just wanted to give it a try in a contour. Gona get sum prices on a used 3L. Any year engine you guys recommend?

I really wana tackle the project. I got the free help for it(no experts though). But has anyone ever tried to? All I hear is 3L and 3L w/turbos and that is originally what I was going to go with.

It the 10 years I've been here, nobody has actually pulled through with a project like this. From the V6 Yamaha SHO Motor, V8 SHO motor, 5.0L Mustang motor, (We've heard it all) etc...all end up exactly the same. A thread starts and thats as far as the project gets off the ground. Even half of the 3.0L turbo projects end up like this.

I just thought the little yamaha v8 was a good engine, but I can see it gets no love here. I never have ran one to know. I got 2 buyers for it, just wanted to give it a try in a contour. Gona get sum prices on a used 3L. Any year engine you guys recommend?

It is a good engine, as long as you weld the cams and are OK with the high price for the 20hp you get over a stock 3L. You can usually sell one of those motors for quite a bit more than you can buy a 3L for, since 3 liters bolt up with little modification, that saves you money to buy goodies. Get an 04-05 DOHC taurus motor, Vin S, and call it a day.

And the custom engine mounts, custom driveshafts, modified/custom radiator, modified firewall, etc. Seriously, it sounds so simple. Why has nobody done this already!?

I agree.

I have both cars sitting in the driveway with a spare 3.4 for the wifes car. The both engines are close but not close enough. Could it be done? Yes. Is it worth it..not in the least.
Go 3l. Turbo is up to you. In my opinon I'd rather run a 75-100 NOS kit then a turbo. Saves on MPG in the long run.

I did help fab up some brackets for the only V8 5spd SHO known to man. Even then, it wasnt worth the headache.

Yea these aren't Hondas, buddy. Nothing just "drops right in"-- a full 3L is about as close as it comes and even that requires some decent modifications. If you're into switching out motors just to be unconventional, get yourself a 90's Civic or Integra and you'll be in engine swap heaven. Ford really shoehorned the engines into these cars and you won't find much extra room for a significantly larger block. Even those of us blessed with the Zetec (I'm only half kidding, I suppose) will still find a cramped engine compartment that isn't modification-friendly.

My advice: someone out there has a SHO with a blown engine, and you have an engine. Make some money that way and do the 3L.

I for one, would love to have a SVT contour with the 3.4L Ford/Yamaha engine. I had a '96 SHO and I loved that engine. I paid $500 to have the cams welded. I paid $700 to have the alternator replaced in my CSVT.

I'll probably get flamed for this but, it felt and sounded smoother and stronger than the duratec to redline. I still miss it...high revving V8 with that unmistakable dual exhaust tone. The only thing I've heard about compatibility is that it shares the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the duratec, and it is derived from the Duratec 25...the block is all Ford, only the heads were Yamaha on the V8. Granted it's wikipedia but it sounds like some of the Gen III SHO guys weighed in on the information. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Yamaha_V8_engine#3.4

With all that said, mcgarvey speaks wisdom with the words, "someone out there has a SHO with a blown engine, and you have an engine. Make some money that way and do the 3L". More than likely, someone out there does have a Gen III with a blown engine. Check out v8sho.com if you are looking for a contact.

Now with that said, if you've got a good stash of cash and come up with resources to make it happen, please give me a ride!

Theres only on reason in the whole world I would make that swap....even if I had the time and money to do it:

True Dual Exhaust.

Just imagine a V8 rumble out of a CSVT exhaust.....:shocked:

As it is the wifes car has its third cat removed and a set of flow masters.

Back