• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3.4L Yamaha V8. Is it Possible in Svt.

Haha, well said!

Well, I know that If I were to start a project like this I would finish it. I was one of the first in the country to install a 5.7 Hemi in a street rod (47 Desoto). BUT it would either have to be for a customer (unlimited funds) or be able to sell it for at least 75-80% of the cost.

We all know thats not going to happen.

Id say depending on how much you need the car go for it. Im personally more interested in the custom aspect of it, sure a 3L is a more direct swap, and not much more horsepower in the SHO V8, but id be all for it just to have the only SHO V8 in a contour. It sure would be pricey, but all project cars this in depth are. If you have the funds and great knowledge of how it works, or someone to help that does it would be really cool. Sure would be an uphill battle tho

but for the money and fabrication involved, just switch it to a rear drive 5.0

Cheaper parts, more aftermarket, and much more cool factor. In the end I bet you costs for the swap wouldnt be to far off from eachother.

your just fabbing front and rear subframe instead of just the front, a trans tunnel, adding a fuel cell, and a rear end.
I am willing to bet a 5.0 would fit easier than transversely mounting a Yamaha V8. If you are gonna go through all the work of putting in the weakest smallest most worthless V8 you can find, and you have the skills to do so, then you should just put in something cool instead.

for the amount of money that it would take to do it...in that case go all out. 5.4L, ported and machined Ford GT heads (32v DOHC), dual twin screw superchargers, and a t56 6 speed. but of you are really gonna put all the money into it....just get a mustang. or hell, anything thats longitudinally mounted and rear wheel drive already and save yourself all the trouble. haha

for the amount of money that it would take to do it...in that case go all out. 5.4L, ported and machined Ford GT heads (32v DOHC), dual twin screw superchargers, and a t56 6 speed. but of you are really gonna put all the money into it....just get a mustang. or hell, anything thats longitudinally mounted and rear wheel drive already and save yourself all the trouble. haha

have you ever seen these 3 engines you are talking about? the 5L would by far be the easiest to swap in due to its size, 5.4? forget that. you cant even swap a 5.4 into a fox body without a giant cowl hood

yes i've seen all of them...which is why im joking about putting a 5.4 in a contour. because you have just about as much luck fitting a 5.0 in as a 4.6 or a 5.4. haha

5.0 will fit in the bay, I'm almost sure a 4.6 will. Its not about just having a v8 either, this is for all of the people saying just buy a mustang, its about having a v8 in a contour. If you don't get that step outside of the thread & leave the dreaming to the rest of us!

If I had a spare contour AND a RWD donor car, I would take on the swap. I am sure I could pull it off, I just cant afford to do it. Probably look into what those focus V8 kits do for engine management, since that would be the hardest part I think. Oh well, like I said, I cant afford to do it, therefore I wont. If I had all the stuff to do it with, yeah sure I would.

Since we're dreaming....why not toss in the New SHO Drivetrain 365hp TWIN turbo Ecoboosted AWD with quote "Room to tune".

+1, but not the trans or awd. 3.5 should bolt to an mtx, and if we're doing stand alone management, that solves tons of problems.

as for the mtx bolting to a sho motor? it does, look up "The Atom"

only thing is, why oh why would you go to all the trouble of a completely one off contour...

if we were going to twin charge the sho 3.4 and drop it in say... a Nobel, then we'de be talking about a worth while project.

well we could always get some RC TB's and toss a 3.0 turbo in the front and the back too, ala Grand vitara pikes peak.

I've actually wanted to see someone buy a clio V6, a 2.0t front engine clio, and a spare 2.0 turbo engine and do something very similar. take the front subframe, axels, suspension, engine ect from the turbo fwd clio and drop them back into the front v6 chassis like they would have been, then do an engine swap out back to the lighter turbo engine to match in back. that would get 220+ HP to each pair of wheels in a package slightly over 2200lbs. drive by wire makes for all kinds of possibilities

Back