• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

After 6 hours of detailing...i present to you

i'll be honest...i couldn't imagine a "retro" styled GTO being sold today. it just wouldn't work.

not a retro, I just mean I doubt a lot of people would like the new camaro, retro or not, if it was just a rebadge. GTO meant something back in the day, and to slap GTO badges on a car already in production doesnt quite give the name enough justice. And I think they lacked the agressive looks in the first couple years of production; they had a regular hood and a single side exhaust, that makes me scratch my head...

if they came out looking like yours did right from the start, I think they would have been much more sucessful.

I love these cars. I have wanted one since they came out. The only thing I didn't like about them was how slowly the power seats moved back for rear seat access. I actually went to buy one of these and got the RX-8 instead, because they didn't have a manual transmission-equipped GTO available. My choice would have been a black or red 05+ (why have a 5.7L when you can have 6.0L, right?) with the hood scoop delete and no spoiler. What's the fun in advertising that you're fast? I'd much rather be subtle.

Your car looks beautifully maintained. Dark paint is so hard to keep clean. Awesome!

wow an rx8? that's going from one extreme to another! lol!

i know about dark paint...the volvo was black. this really isn't that bad though.

Really we wanted something with a little more "sport" than our SF SVT, and it needed to be a manual. The GTO was our first choice, but they only had automatics on the lot. We drove the RX-8 because the salesman told us it was a manual, and, to be honest, we test drive lots of cars just to have the experience of doing it. The handling of the RX-8 was unbelievable, the power was good, the looks were great, and I'm a big fan of uncommon cars, so we took a chance on it. I regretted it from almost the first day. I enjoyed driving it, when it ran. I've never had a car that left me stranded so much. We sold it, and the guy who bought it figured out what was wrong with it (the starter motor was shorting out and the butterfly valves were clogged with carbon) and he hasn't had a lick of trouble with it.

my brother in law had an rx8 for a couple of weeks. he traded in his 350z for it...i don't know how he was able to take the car off the lot without finalizing the paperwork, but, the loan company wouldn't give him the interest rate he wanted so he just took it back and got his 350z back. he said it was a cool car but got bad mileage and you really had to drive it hard to have fun with it.

They do get crap mileage. My best ever was 25 mpg. You do have to drive it like you hate it to get the best performance, too. The dealership told me that it is optimal to run it to redline every single time you drive it. I didn't do that, trying for better mileage, and it had massive MASSIVE carbon buildup. So we passed along that info to the new owner and he's loving it.

It did make me sad - the first weekend he had it he went through baseball size hail - tore a mirror off and dented hood and roof badly. The second weekend he had it, his 16 year old son backed their pickup into it and shoved the hitch through the nose. If I bought a car and that happened in the first two weeks, I'd wonder if someone "up there" was trying to tell me something.

lol yeah that sounds like some bad juju

best mpg driving home from indiana in the GTO was 25-26mpg...this was going the speed limit in 6th gear. around town is the killer...12-13mpg. in the manual it recommends shifting from 1st to 4th to get the best mileage possible. lol! i usually do 1-3-5. i really love this car though. it's fantastic. it gives me that excited feeling i used to get from the SVT. i've missed that feeling!

I wish I had pics but I seen a GTO same color as yours with the Vauxhaul front facia and badging all the way around.:cool:

I saw either a very good conversion or an import Holden this past weekend in Miami.

Had holden brakes, bodywork, etc.

Back