• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

engine bay cleaners?

what are the best engine/underhood cleaners..........for that shiney car dealership look?????????????????

I did a search on old forums about a week ago, lots of info. Now I get nothing there?

please help.

Get you a can of engine degreeser, spray the whole motor down and then turn the car on. Let it run at idle for about 5 minutes - 10 minutes.

Hose off... when it dries use your favorite protectant on the parts you want shiney.

Thats how the detailing dept does it locally.

Are you aware that WD-40 dissolves some types of rubber? Not something I'd want sprayed in my bay.

steam cleaner...the kind thats in a power washer and heated with deisel, you can add a detergent to it. did it to mine and it looks amazing. just make sure to cover your air filter good and avoid it or take it off adn plug TB with something

Are you aware that WD-40 dissolves some types of rubber? Not something I'd want sprayed in my bay.

Not that im aware of..Ive always used it in my waverunners after cleaning the engine.ive been useing it on engine after there cleaned for along time no no problems yet..Any other dressing that you can think of that might work as well that keep the engine shining?

A long time ago, my high school science teacher did an experiment in front of the class. He blew up a balloon and tied it off, then sprayed just a little WD-40 on it. After a couple minutes, the balloon popped. Since then I've shown the trick to other people who used to use WD-40 for everything.

Ok but now were taking about a ballon thats how thick??..Not very..The only thing i like about the w-40 is that it keeps my uim shining for weeks intake pipe etc..I tryed this black magic cleaner and shiner crap the other day sucks dont ever use it it left everything very dull looking.

CD2-4516.jpg
yep, sorry about that. Available at Pepboys or Murrays....

Lasts longer than anything else I've ever tried, doesnt smeel as bad as some other products, and doesnt even collect half of the amount of dust others do.

question...
where can i get a can of that in canada??????

clean with simple green (buy it by the gallons at tractor supply)
but it dosen't shine i need the shine but i don't want it to leave mars or residue on my polished stuff.

I personnaly use Turtle Was polishing compound. I rub it onto my block and some of the metal lines around the engine then wipe off with a rag. Seems to work really good but I have got it on some black rubber lines and it's not necasserally hard to get off but tedious with all the rubber around everything. But anyways they sell it at wal-mart and lasts for a long time. Also I use nver dull wad polish. It comes in a sivler can and its like wool with treatment on it and rub it on then take off with a cloth. (Also sold at walmart, and many autoparts stores).

Get you a can of engine degreeser, spray the whole motor down and then turn the car on. Let it run at idle for about 5 minutes - 10 minutes.

Hose off... when it dries use your favorite protectant on the parts you want shiney.

Thats how the detailing dept does it locally.

I've always been afraid of hosing it off. How would you avoid getting the plugs wet? Anything else I wouldn't want to get wet :shrug:

I've always been afraid of hosing it off. How would you avoid getting the plugs wet? Anything else I wouldn't want to get wet :shrug:

The plug boots have a lip around them to keep water from getting in. Just don't spray the hose directly at them and you should be ok. If water does get in, just pull the boot out while the engines warm the water will evaporate. The only thing I've ever done before spraying it off is remove the K&N and wrap a plastic bag with a rubber band over it to the MAF. I've never had any problems after doing this.

After it's clean, I spray a thin coat of silicone spray on the hoses and rubber parts.

Back