• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

engine bay cleaners?

when you spray it with water, do you use a mist, power spray, or nothing on the end of the hose?

DO NOT POWER WASH YOUR MOTOR...
A mist, like out of a watering can works perfectly, Depending on what nozzle you have, use whatever uses the least amount of pressure. Just stay away from anything that looks important. Running water right out of the hose with no nozzle will work also, It just splashes around more so it's a bit messier.

First one to make a comment about me gets kicked in the Gonads...TWICE

Last edited:
i would not use wd40 to shine anything it eats rubber

+1
But also remember alot of the products that weren't meant to detail your engine collect alot of dust. The reason always recommend this engine detailer is because in my personal experience it lasts quite awhile, and collects hardly any dust as compared to Armor All or any Tire shine I've ever used.

Last edited:
Go with Citrus Engine Brite by Gunk. Its a little less expensive and more readily available than the CD2. You can find it at Walmart, AutonZone, AdvanceAutoParts,etcetcetc. Plus it leaves your engine smelling really nice, The cabin air filter sucks it rite inside the car. Safe and works i think better than CD2.I've tried both. I much prefer Gunk. Thers two type of engine cleaners by Gunk. One is stickly a degreaser, engine cleaner. The Citrus Brite is an alll in one. Cleans and details without chemically weaking hoses or engine bay paint. Will harm the outer exterior of your body clear coat should you accidently over spray...just wipe it off with a lil soap and water dont leave it to rest and you'll have no problems.If your car is really filthy buy both. Once your detailed allow your car to run for about 15 minutes to help in evaporating moisture which is laid out in Gunks directions.

One last thing, i use plastic baggies from the grocery store to wrap my filter and electrical parts. Using a light spray from the hose nozzle just follow instructions....simple and easy.......

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pag...ges/4/web/2332000-2332999/2332770_82_full.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2332770/9

Attachments

• my merc engine.jpg
    my merc engine.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
best thing to clean you engine is obviously black temp spray paint!!! honestly everything i could reach that could hold paint and looked like **** i painted and it looks fantastic now!!!! the motor mounts, the TB, MAF, the secondary box thingys, the spark plug wire holder, it looks great. and the plastic tray hold the grille, inbetween the headlights.

Be sure not to pre-rinse your engine when using Gunk. The Gunk will dry with the water and become almost impossible to get off.

Be sure not to pre-rinse your engine when using Gunk. The Gunk will dry with the water and become almost impossible to get off.

Your engine must have been warm or hot. Most of the degreasers require that your engine be cool before applying. Ive never had a problem with using either Gunk products ( Gunk degreaser or Gunk engine detailer ' citrus Engine Brite' ). Engine HAS to be cool ( cold ) before even using the product. Especially with the majority of degreaser's due to their chemical make up. Warns you on the label.
Man that must have been a pain to take off... i know of a guy one here somewhere on the site can't remember his nick who used another product not too long after driving his car and it just stuck to his engine and other parts.

Learned when i was about 12 and a half that reading labels can actually come in handy.___--> Spraying hairspray to help glitter cling without glue. Was on the counter next to an open gas pilot................I know now to read SMALL PRINT. Burned my tiny nostril hair and left nose tip rasberried for a good while....burnt hair stinks !!!!! ( Lucky for me i tend to involuntaryly hold my breath while i concentrate )......LOL....would have been a whole diff story.

The engine was cool, I drove it a block and let it sit. It was also 90 that day. But yeah, it was a real pain in the ass to get off, I had to scrub everything with a cloth, and I still missed some.

Lots of good options here. Another you might consider is Castrol Super Clean Tough Task. Nail the bay with it, rinse, then use your preferred engine detailer, whether CD2 or tire shine, etc. If you're dealing with a warm or hot motor, mind the fumes from the Tough Task.

Greased Lightning in the purple bottle is my degreaser of choice. I use this on just about everything and follow with something like CD2. It is also amazing to spray on tires before washing them and applying any other product.

Use a lighter cleaner like Simple Green before reverting to engine degreasers. Not only are they less harsh, but they also aren't petroleum based, and don't send a whole ton of bad chemicals into the ground water.

As far as the Gunk went, I even went as far as standing in an odd distorted position to keep the sun off my motor. Still didn't help.

The tire shine works excellent to keep the motor looking nice. It's safe to use on rubber (duh!!), is cheap, and provides a nice gloss that won't attract dirt. I've used the Motor Kote from Sonus on my engine, and the tire shine provides a better looking shine and is more uniform... plus it doesn't cost $10 plus shipping for a small bottle. And you can get tire shine ANYWHERE, compared to the CD2, which isn't available in the Northeast apparently.

To bring this thread back up: try this. Worked totally awesome!!

http://www.1017.org/nsx/Enginetrick/EngineTrick.htm

Ok I did this today for Nopi this coming weekend and YES IT WORKED. I didnt take before and after pics cause I have been detailing since 9am (its 7pm now) I did it just as the instructions said and my engine bay hasnt ever looked this good. I will take pics from Nopi Nationals.

Ok I did this today for Nopi this coming weekend and YES IT WORKED. I didnt take before and after pics cause I have been detailing since 9am (its 7pm now) I did it just as the instructions said and my engine bay hasnt ever looked this good. I will take pics from Nopi Nationals.
I'll be doing it tomorrow lol hope it works for me as well!

Back