• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fastest Contour/Cougar

Can someone seriously please delete this thread?

Seriously? You're arguing with an admin and asking someone else to delete the thread? lol.

Anyway, more power to you (no pun intended) if you're actually doing it in a manner that may succeed. I'll be happy to congratulate you when it happens, but I still have plenty of skepticism based on a long history of folks on here making the same claims as you and utterly failing for one reason or another. Again, most of the folks in this thread WANT someone to succeed, and are simply trying to help you avoid the same mistakes that have already been made. There is a lot of technical depth on this board, from pro drag racers like crewchiefpro and his son bhiggs, to a large number of engineers, and other racers, etc. and its stupid to ignore good advice from those people, which you seem hell-bent on doing.

Who says I am ignoring advice? Specifically, HOW am I ignoring that advice. Lots of assumptions going on in this thread with no actual knowledge of what I am doing.

"Nice to see you picked the most irrelevant parts of my post to respond to, and ignored any of the actual technical content."

So your not going to mention how you assumed I had a stock diff, but I don't.

Actually, that was the one thing I did assume you were doing without you having specifically said it.

You've made no indication of anything you are doing to address items #4 and #5 on my list at all, aside from some chrome-moly axle shafts, which doesn't even address the weakest part of #4.

Really? Also still interested in hearing how exactly I am ignoring advice.

Really? Also still interested in hearing how exactly I am ignoring advice.

Yeah really, because my post you quoted was referring to your statements, not my assumptions.

As far as ignoring advice, all I can go on is your responses here, which include things like

My 60's are going to suck, but it will be 250% making up for it on the last 1/8 mile.

Its hard to make up that much time in half a track.

Are you serious? Please stop talking. I'm done with this thread. I shouldn't have responded after my first post. This is why I don't go on car forums much.

And
According to these people FWD can't go faster than 13's.

Which no one ever said.

Contours can't break 13s man. Ev44rrrrr.

This kind of stuff makes you look dumb.

And you've mentioned lots of power from a big turbo, an anti-lag setup of unknown type, over $10k into it, "slicks", new chrome-moly axles (which the existing aftermarket parts have proven to be inadequate) and some different gearing.

People here have said that slicks will just break more parts unless you figure out a way to enlarge the splined axle stubs coming out of the trans, or come up with something even stronger than the chrome-moly. Gearing may help a little by the big end of the track, but its not going to help you put more power to the ground, which is what you really need to do. Look at crewchiefpro, his car spins through 4th gear at the track, and I think its safe to assume he has some idea of what he's doing on a drag strip, what with his resume and all.

Again, I'll say I really don't know exactly what you're building, but based on your statements, I can only conclude that your ignoring much of the advice and concentrating on things that won't help nearly as much, like an oversized turbo, and the anti-lag system you seem so proud of, and the amount of money you've spent too. No mention whatsoever of chassis modifications, all of which would need to be custom, that would be necessary to get the car to hook up and make use of much more than stock power levels. It really is the chassis mods that will make the car run a much quicker 1/4 mile. Many folks have proven that lots of power, even when parts don't break, and using stickier tires, that the contour just doesn't put that power to the ground.

12's and faster are definately possible, but only if you improve things in ALL the right areas, not just one or two.

None of that leads to me not taking advice. Yes my later responses were sarcastic because I stopped caring. Still want to see how I am ignoring advice. What have I not done/skipped/done incorrectly. Please enlighten me.

No mention whatsoever of chassis modifications, all of which would need to be custom, that would be necessary to get the car to hook up and make use of much more than stock power levels. It really is the chassis mods that will make the car run a much quicker 1/4 mile..

Obviously this is what your getting at...but do you seriously think I am going to fabricate a completely custom turbo setup and then do no chassis work? Assumptions.

None of that leads to me not taking advice. Yes my later responses were sarcastic because I stopped caring. Still want to see how I am ignoring advice. What have I not done/skipped/done incorrectly. Please enlighten me.

Obviously this is what your getting at...but do you seriously think I am going to fabricate a completely custom turbo setup and then do no chassis work? Assumptions.

I've seen gross mistakes like that done before, and they often start exactly the way thread has gone. Plus, you told everyone your car would be at the drag strip this year, and you're running out of time . . . and all we've seen are a couple snapshots of a crossover and an open trans case. I don't know you personally, I have no way of knowing if your just being a pain or flat out lying and stealing other people's pictures.

I challenge you to put up or shut up. Post up a build thread, show us what your doing to make your Contour the fastest ever . . . It's not like its going to be competitive in any particular racing class, so no worries of people stealing your ideas, and you've had a year headstart to build the car so no worries of anyone catching up to you and beating you to the "fastest contour" punch.
Frankly, if you really are planning (or have done) chassis mods, I'd really like to see what your doing. I'm no drag racer, but I know a thing or three about chassis design and I'm always interested in what other people do.

wow, all i have to say is quit flamming the guy. If he's trying to build a 12 second car, let him do it. If he ask's for advice, give it to him. If he fails, and probably will, he'll have to just keep trying until he gets it. I do believe that SOMEONE will get a street legal contour to run 12's. Its just i dont know when. Give the guy a break. He's doing something he wants to do, so support him. We're all part of the same group.

The funniest part I find so far about the build is that he's using a mad old Mercury Sable radiator, and apparently it fits on stock brackets. And to think everyone FREAKS about the SVT radiator :crazy:

Shut up Ian, I have a svt radiator I wanna sell soon and you just killed the value of it! :D

I know for a fact a different final gear won't help out with the traction issues off a launch.....ask me how I know.

I know for a fact a different final gear won't help out with the traction issues off a launch.....ask me how I know.
dropping to the Zetec FD wont help, but the 3.5 FD might a little (although it wouldnt be much if it did).

My Dad just had the 3.5 Final Gear installed in the new trans, we havent put everything back together yet to know how it affects everything though.

contour's are slow everybody. let me be the voice of reason here. YOU WILL NOT GO FAST. doesnt matter who's right, cuz NOBODY IS. this thread should be changed to

the almost not slow contours on this board? cuz they are all slow and dissapointing.

/thread

contour's are slow everybody. let me be the voice of reason here. YOU WILL NOT GO FAST. doesnt matter who's right, cuz NOBODY IS. this thread should be changed to

the almost not slow contours on this board? cuz they are all slow and dissapointing.

/thread
Then i must question why you still have one, if you "like going fast and breaking :censored:"

Back