• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

finally done!

This thread makes me laugh.

Why? Why can't kids be involved in cars? Ive spent my whole life involved with cars through my dad. I dont see what is funny? I would think that people would be happy to see a kids from the next generation modding cars correctly instead of making a bowl of rice.

At 16 years old, the money you make on a first job doesn't pay for much. You always want to think that, but that's not the reality.

NOT always. I work at a golf course during the summer, and i make $4.50 an hour PLUS around $50-$60 cash every night for working around 7 hours! id say thats pretty decent for a 16 year old and his first job!

Great job man. Wish I had a CSVT for my first car (wish I had one now). I had a 1989 Dodge Aries K for my first car ran good for a while then the tranny started taking a crapper on me we sold it for a good $150 a month after I got the Mystique. I'm TRYING to mod the Mystique but I gotta house now and a kid on the way so that's gonna make matters worse trying to mod the Stique. Hope your plains go well and don't make a mistake like I did. I'd probably getting somewhere with the car right now if I didn't have this kid coming along but I'm excited about it. Having a family was a dream of mine but not this soon so I guess my dream is coming true. BTW I had my first job at 17 doing dishes at $5.50 an hour, now I'm making $7 doing the same job at a different place....I need a new job. :blackeye:

Dont let people slow you down. A lot of people are getting all fired up because you are talking about some very serious and costly mods. So what, save your money, enjoy your car, learn some valuable car info. Hell, im 26 and people, (girlfriend, mother), still give me hell about spending money on my car.

Shoot, those that say he cant afford it, try to think back at what little expenses you had at 15-18. It is not uncommon at all for parents to pick up insurance, my parents did as long as I got good grades. I wouldnt even put him in the slighly spoiled catagory if his parents outright gave him the car and pay for insurance. SVTs are not expensive at all these days. Anyone from these here west suburbs of chicago knows what im talking about...the damn highschool are like BMW and Benz dealerships and im not referancing the faculty!!!

Even at 7/hr and only 25hrs a week one would have 700/month gross. If he works longer hours in the summer, maybe overtime he can pay for that in no time.

Ease up on the kid. He hasnt proven to be a B.S.er. Yeah, he does have some big dreams...I imagine at one time we all did about one car or another.

thats all for my rant...good luck with the car. CEG will be a very valuable resouce if you use it correctly. I will be the first to tell you Serach. If you get frustrated send someone a PM first instead of starting a new thread.

Yeah but as these cars get old the insurance goes down. And insurance rates have so many variable nobody can really compare, there is state diff, amount of accidents in SVT's around the nation, your driving record, the amount of years you have had insurance, the amount of coverage, the amount of your deductable. I dont see how any of us can compare insurance, makes no sense. Sure I pay like 60$ a month for my SVT, full coverage, with 5 points, but I'm also 26, and my deductable is 500$. Everyone is different so talking about insurance rates is a moot point

Are you kidding me? When i was 16 I was dreaming of having a car like that but Ive had to work my way up wow, I wish i was that lucky!!!!!!!

Buy them broke for cheap and fix them for half the price that you would have paid for it had it not been broke.

My first car was an 85 Camaro (which I still own), which was $2k that I bought in 96 (have about $16k invested in it as of now :D). My second car I bought in 00 was to be a daily driver, a 94 SHO, which cost $7.5k (I bought the car on impulse and didn't research it enough, way over priced). Third car to replace my SHO is the CSVT I own now, $600 for the car, SVT motor w/43k miles $1375, upgraded trans $1900 total invested for a tip top shape car $3875, not to mention it was #49 of 6535 :cool:.

Short story is you can usally find what you want for the price you want if your willing to put the time and effort into it.

wow theres alot of young people that own CSVT im only 17 i bought mine when i was 16 for $6000 with 50,300 miles and i only pay $5600 a year with full coverage and 1 accident and 2 tickets i used to pay $2300 a year before all that tickets

down where i live i never see any contour svt's at all (Note im from cambridge,Ontario)people down here just think my contour is a normal contour with a kit on it lol

I got a question you guys got this number of your car how do i figure out mine i dont have that cert. the guy i bought it off didnt give me it so i have no clue how to figure it out any one got any answers??

I am glad to see some young pups on here....I will be turning 27 in April. I just picked up my CSVT back in October. Backstory for those that do not know, my aunt bought the car new in the summer of 97 with under 100 miles. Used it as a daily driver with a little zip. Fast forward 9 1/2 years and 174,000 miles she buys a 2006 Mazda Tribute and the dealer wanted to give her 300 bucks for the SVT in trade (mileage and SEVERE hail damage). She promptly declined the trade-in offer and offered to sell the 'Tour to me. I paid her 800 dollars cash. The CSVT is by far the best car I have ever owned. In order it has been 1) 1976 Buick Skylark, 2) 1986 Chevy Celebrity, 3) 1994 Chevy Cavalier, 5) 1987 Chevy Camaro RS, 6) 1994 Ford Ranger, 7) 1994 Ford Tempo, 8) 1998 Ford Contour SVT. Point of my long-winded thread is as follows: Work hard and have patience and you will get what you want in the end. Side note: Did you say that was GutterGuard on your SVT, shizapoo? In general question...how does one go about attaching aftermarket mesh and best way to paint it and keep it from fading/tarnishing?

I am glad to see some young pups on here....I will be turning 27 in April. I just picked up my CSVT back in October. Backstory for those that do not know, my aunt bought the car new in the summer of 97 with under 100 miles. Used it as a daily driver with a little zip. Fast forward 9 1/2 years and 174,000 miles she buys a 2006 Mazda Tribute and the dealer wanted to give her 300 bucks for the SVT in trade (mileage and SEVERE hail damage). She promptly declined the trade-in offer and offered to sell the 'Tour to me. I paid her 800 dollars cash. The CSVT is by far the best car I have ever owned. In order it has been 1) 1976 Buick Skylark, 2) 1986 Chevy Celebrity, 3) 1994 Chevy Cavalier, 5) 1987 Chevy Camaro RS, 6) 1994 Ford Ranger, 7) 1994 Ford Tempo, 8) 1998 Ford Contour SVT. Point of my long-winded thread is as follows: Work hard and have patience and you will get what you want in the end. Side note: Did you say that was GutterGuard on your SVT, shizapoo? In general question...how does one go about attaching aftermarket mesh and best way to paint it and keep it from fading/tarnishing?

as for attaching I have no idea on the post97's but the best way to protect it is to either use some metal polish like... once a week, or before installing the mesh, put several layers of clearcoat over the mesh, this will leave it shining like new.

Back